Starter

valencehsift

Seaman
Well this has been a battle. This is my first boat and I am getting disappointed. I have been having trouble getting the boat started. I have cleaned the carbs as someone mentioned in the forum, found out about the enrichment valve and still can not get it going. I also think that my starter is gone. I thought the battery may have been dead from all the time trying to start it. I had it charged and when I turn the key, it still turns really slow and the starter gets hot quick. If it is the starter, can I have it re-done? This is my first boat and only reason was I could never afford one, this is strating to get to be a money pitt. Please help, it will be greatly appreciated.
Harold

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Starter

BOAT=Break Out Another Thousand. ;)

If it gets that hot that fast, I'm betting you roasted the armature. Smell it. If it smellls like a grill only stronger, it's bad. You might have to loosen up the two long screws to crack it open a bit. Otherwise it might just need cleaning up inside and the connections tightened. If the armature fried, you might as well go for a whole starter.