starter trying to engage with key off

tscott

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all. Been alittle while as I have been away.<br /><br />Tried starting my '91 200hp Evinrude this evening to fog it and after it died on the second attempt, the starter kept running. Had to jerk the battery cable to stop it. <br /><br />I made sure the switch was in the full off position and tried to replace the cable on the battery and immediatly the starter tried to run.<br /><br />After about 5 minutes, I pulled the positive cable off the starter so I could put the cable on and lower the motor and use a meter on it. No power on the cable. Put it back on the starter and it did not engage. Didn't try to start again.<br /><br />This sounds like a solenoid that is sticking. Does this sound correct?<br /><br />All help is appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Tom

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: starter trying to engage with key off

hello<br /> could have been the key switch. most likely a low battery or poor connection caused the soliniod disk to arc weld itself to the contacts. try it again but make sure all connections are clean and tight and the battery is fully charged<br />good luck and keep posting

Hooty

Rear Admiral

A stuck solenoid would be my first guess. If that don' do it, I'd look at the switch. Tell us what ya find.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

tscott

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks all. I'm going to check it out tomorrow.<br />will keep you posted.<br /><br />tom