Starter spontaneously starts cranking. Volvo Penta GXi 8.1 L 2008

ni7irs

Seaman
I shut down today and heard a clanking. Opened engine compartment and engine was “running” but with a huge knock. This engine doesn’t have keys. There are switches on the panel that energize them and then the starter switch is at the helm. I confirmed the start switch was in the off position. When I de-energized the switch at the main panel he engine stopped. I again switched the energizing switch on and shortly thereafter the engine again started cranking.
Any ideas on what this can be? Is there a danger the starter may engage while he engine is actually running?

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
You didn’t post a serial number so I can’t tell you if the starter can engage while the engine is running.

I would test the dash switch.

ni7irs

Seaman
You didn’t post a serial number so I can’t tell you if the starter can engage while the engine is running.

I would test the dash switch.
Serial Numbers: 4012220165 Thank you!

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
on your engine the starter can engage while the engine is running.
Also noticed that this engine has never been registered, suggest you contact a Volvo Penta dealer and get it registered in your name.

ni7irs

Seaman
on your engine the starter can engage while the engine is running.
Also noticed that this engine has never been registered, suggest you contact a Volvo Penta dealer and get it registered in your name.
Wow. Thank you for the info! Ive purchased some relays and a new starter as I’m sure the existing one is life limited now