Starter Solenoid?

scatgo

Petty Officer 1st Class
When I was out on the water today my engine stalled. After it stalled out I could hear a noise coming from the engine and it turned out the starter was still running. When I turned off the main switch the started did stop spinning. Main switch on and the starter came on the starter gear came up to the flywheel and when the engine started the starter gear went back down but the starter was still running. The engine has a start button. No key no ignition switch. I will test the start button but if its good how would you test a solenoid?

scatgo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I thought that was just for when it would not start. This thing wont stop starting! lol

Last edited:

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
selenoid may have sticky contacts or the start button may have sticky contacts either way the starter can't run without juice so those 2 options needs a look at

my money is on a sticky start button because shutting the main switch
dropped the selenoid / starter

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
I thought that was just for when it would not start. This thing wont stop starting! lol
Switch off main switch.
Connect voltmeter to the two small terminals on the solenoid.
Switch on main switch
If no reading on voltmeter but starter runs the solenoid is faulty
If voltmeter reads battery volts, or nearly, start button or wiring to it, is faulty

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Unhook one lead from the start button.
If the starter still turns, then the solenoid
is faulty.
A 12Volt test light is a real good tool to have
in your tool box. Don't buy a cheapo.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
OP stated .. When I turned off the main switch the starter did stop spinning.

I suspect main switch means the key switch here and the key switch itself not being in series with the starter bat. feed circuit, would it not be more likely a defective start button or possibly something shorting the +12v to the selenoid control wire...very near the switch location when the key is simply ON ?

Sorry to bother you. I have a Johnson 25 from the year 1996 2 stroke. Starter recoil springs and stops etc broke. (Recoil start) or (Rewind start). The part number is 397975 - D 4. In Uruguay I cannot find. I do not know if someone can give me a business or website where I can buy it online. I have not been able to find in Uruguay.
I appreciate that someone can guide me to get the complete part with the springs.
greetings Daniel

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Part 397975 or 397976 ?-------Try----evinrudeparts.ca-----Note----winter hrs at this time.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Item #5 is listed as ---NLA---I believe.----Find some out of the way place with used parts !-----Or look for electric start kit.

scatgo

Petty Officer 1st Class
The two small terminals on the solenoid are marked S for one and I for the other terminal. Anyone know what the s and i stand for? Dose polarity matter for the two small terminals? I just cant seem to get things working. I tried a universal solenoid i got at pep boys but no good. I thought it had to be bad exchanged it for a new one but still cant get it to work. My test meter is showing voltage at the small terminals when i hit the start button but no volts making it to the starter.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
On a proper factory solenoid one wee terminal gets 12 volts from ignition switch.----The other wee terminal goes to ground.----The solenoid connects the 2 big terminal together.----Elegantly simple !!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The two small terminals on the solenoid are marked S for one and I for the other terminal. Anyone know what the s and i stand for? Dose polarity matter for the two small terminals? I just cant seem to get things working. I tried a universal solenoid i got at pep boys but no good. I thought it had to be bad exchanged it for a new one but still cant get it to work. My test meter is showing voltage at the small terminals when i hit the start button but no volts making it to the starter.
The "S" and "I" are relics from a Ford Solenoid. DIFFERENT from an OMC solenoid, however some OMC solenoids still show the markings. On a Ford the "I" terminal sends a full 12Volt whallop to the ignition coil while cranking, bypassing the ignition resistor. On an OMC, the second terminal is grounded through the safety switch if so equipped, or otherwise grounded directly.

Anyhoo, that, my friends, is why you can't walk into an auto parts store and ask for an universal solenoid. They'll give you a Ford solenoid every time.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
selenoids are simple electro-magnets with a wire coil developping magnetism to close a set of contacts to feed bat +12 to the starter

when you apply 12V on the control wire from the switch it should click solid
if not a) the winding is open b) the other side is not grounded

you need to tell us which is which

your initial issue seems to have changed a bit ??? you alluded to permanent starter activation while the main switch was ON.... has this changed ??? because that would imply a working selenoid and starter

the other rabbit ..POST#8 should go on another separate post.

scatgo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Done. Turns out the metal mounting bracket is the ground! I only had to use one of the small terminals for positive. bolted the neutral safety wire to the mounting bracket.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Not a factory part.----That makes posting advice difficult and adds confusion in most cases.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Done. Turns out the metal mounting bracket is the ground! I only had to use one of the small terminals for positive. bolted the neutral safety wire to the mounting bracket.
Yep, that's a Ford solenoid!!!!!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some folks think that these things are all the same !----Proof that 12 volts and wires can be confusing.