Starter (slave) solenoid - fouling

Mikejr

Seaman
Key Data: 2005 Mercruiser 3.0L with Alpha drive in Bayliner 175. Failed starting or slave solenoid (OEM # 89-96054T).

Last season I replaced the slave solenoid on my engine and my starting problems went away. This season after doing some major engine work (cracked head :( ), I was excited to restart my boat in prep for summer. To my dismay, all I heard was a click at the engine. So I pulled out my notes from this brilliant post (http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...ting-your-engines-starting-system-167035.html) and starting working my way from bow to stern (i.e. key and back). The problem was quickly evident at the slave solenoid Starting Solenoid - 89-96054T.jpg - when key was turned to start position, solenoid clicked and no voltage was evident across the larger terminals (however, shorting across the solenoid immediately starts the engine).

So, with all this, I've proven the solenoid is bad...easy you say, replace and getting under way...here is the interesting part.

This solenoid was effectively brand new. I replaced it last season in June, ran the boat for a few weeks and then the head cracked so it's been in storage for nearly 10 months, with no power connected. I thought the odds of two solenoids failing in succession were very low, so decided to pull the old one apart. The contact surface for the "cold" side (i.e. the terminal not connected to the hot 12V) was completely black and corroded. It was effectively so black it was invisible against the black housing. I'm virtually sure the current one will look the same as the symptoms are identical - will be pulling it apart tomorrow.

Here's my question - what could be causing the solenoid to corrode inside on the non-energized contact surface?

Also, I live in smaller town and finding this part is unreasonably expensive. Does anyone know if there is an equivalent automotive part and is there any reason not to buy a couple and swap out if it fails?

Thanks,
Mike

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Starter (slave) solenoid - fouling

You'll probably find that the blackening is flash over. As the solenoid de-energizes and the contact come away it draws a spark, and with a starter motor the current can be very high (upwards of 300A)... That's what's causing the blackening. I would also venture to guess that they are cheap Chinese rubbish... Order the OEM unit from an on-line GENUINE parts supplier and have it delivered to your door. I suspect you'll find that will last a lot longer...

Mercruiser by Mercury Marine part lookup

Chris......

Mikejr

Seaman

Chris - makes a ton of sense, especially the OEM quality point. I haven't taken the replacement one apart yet, but assume it fouled faster than the OEM one I did take out. I wonder if others are experiencing the same problem with their Mercruiser 3.0L engines not starting but getting the click?

Mercruiser 3.0L owners - anyone else out there experiencing failure of their starter (slave) solenoid with short hours on it?

Thank you Chris,
Mike

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That same solenoid is used on all of Mercs engine, not just the 3.0L.
I think you just have had really bad luck with them. Oh, and don't waste money on lottery tickets ;)

Mikejr

Seaman

Chris - spoke with my dad who helped me pull it apart and he said it's definitely not flashover. The coating was completely uniform and even in color and depth of material. It almost looks like it's electroplated and makes me think there is some current flowing through it. I will check current flow both when shut down and running tomorrow when i take it out for test run.

Any other ideas as to what would be causing what appears to be electroplating?

Thanks,
Mike

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Got photos?

joysticks

Petty Officer 3rd Class

while this post is up I wonder if your starter is ok, mine fails every year because of the ice and wet winter, but really was wondering if the starter slave solenioid is really necessary, I have taken mine apart so many times (it looks like a box) idk if all its parts r in it ?