Starter Removal

aklanjac28

Recruit
Hi all,

This is my first post on here and man this is a great forum for boat noobs! I've got an 05 Chaparral 190SX. It has the Volvo Penta in it that is, I think, the 3.0L. Can find out for sure but I'm on my lunch break.

Well recently out of no where it will not start. I have followed the FAQ on this forum to find that it is in fact the starter not turning over. I'm pretty mechanically inclined as I've work on cars since I turned 16, but I cannot get that damn bolt off that is right next to(not sure what to call it) piece of metal going to the outboard. There's not enough space to fit a socket around it and the open end wrench doesn't grip it enough for how tight it is.

Anyone have any tips or tricks I don't know about? Would be greatly appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Starter Removal

That plate is actually the cover over the front of the flywheel, and yes, you must have the 9/16 head on the starter bolt. The new bolts have a 1/2" head so it will fit.
Forcing the socket on the bolt head usually works, it will bend that sheet metal plate enough to get the socket on it.