Starter or solenoid ?

Lee Strong

Recruit
1995 Evinrude 35 - solenoid moves starter gear up to engage flywheel, starter shaft spins at high speed, but gear does not turn flywheel?

Here is a little video

Should I replace solenoid or starter motor? Thanks for advice!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Are you 100% sure that is a 1995 motor ??-----Model # is ??-----My approach is to take the starter apart for inspection.----That would cost no beer tokens.----And it would tell what to do next !!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
My guess is corrosion or bad connection. Clean all battery connections including the mounting pad for the starter

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Need to be exact here.-----Is it the correct starter for that motor?----Is it a 1995 motor , as I suspect it is not.----Any more pictures / video of this motor >----Model # is ?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
You are saying the starter spins, but gear does not? Slipping starter gear hub (commonly called a Bendix)

ONERCBOATER!

Seaman
Does the starter bendix actually push the starter gear UP to and fully engage the flywheel yet not turn the engine and still make a spinning sound after engaging? That is how I understand the original post. If so Bendix probably toast. If not then I misunderstood.

Sean

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Remove sparkplugs and see if it spins over easy.------Remove lower unit and see if it spins over easy.----How did this motor run for you last season ?-----Any more pictures of this motor / cowling ?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Jump the starter like you would a car starter. Hook to your car or truck battery with engine running -- regular jumper cables. Pos to post on boat starter, neg. to mounting bracket. If the boat engine starter spins fast, it's fair to assume the starter is good. Work back from there.