Starter Not Engaging Consistantly - 1988 Mercury 175

jkering66

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

This year I am having problems with my starter not consistantly engaging. I have sprayed the top with some lube, but did not help.

About the 4th or 5th try turning the key it engages, the first 3 or 4 times the stater spins but does not lift up to the fly wheel, just spins, you can hear it.

Is that the sign of the starter needing replacement, or can I put a new spring in the starter to help it engage when turning?

1988 Mercury 175

Thanks

Zamboni

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Starter Not Engaging Consistantly - 1988 Mercury 175

The spring actually pushes down on the gear that must rise up to engage the flywheel-so changing that won't help. Take the starter off, take bendix gear off and clean everything well. I just went thru this with mine, didn't find any gunk that was causing 'binding' to prevent the starter spinning from throwing the bendix up thread to the flywheel....many others have though.

With my merc starter when the flywheel threw the bendix back down it would bind....no marks but it seemed like thread teeth would cut into the shaft stopper and jam. does yours jam when you spin it quickly down with your fingers(starter removed) I filed the thread ends smooth, that helped a little but it still jammed needing a nudge sometimes with screwdriver to loosen the bendix before starting. I didn't have a machine washer to fit between the bendix and shaft where it would bind-so put a plumbing rubber o-ring there. It fit tightly in place and is showing no signs of wear after about 20 starts-even though I can just prop the bendix loose if that o-ring gets chewed up it still bugs me-going to install a brass washer there.

All that is assuming your starter is actually spinning fast enough-make sure your problem isn't cable connection etc.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you've probably already heard this. are you sure the battery is good. have you had it load tested. take jumper cable from pos battery to pos on the starter, see if it will engage. this part is canned,copy and pasted from another post. remove the cable from battery and motor, also from solenoid to starter. clean till shiney. also check for any nicks of swelling, as they tend to get nicked and deteriorate from the inside out. the replace, and tighten well. 90% of starter problems are battery cables. you can put a couple of drops of a light oil on the starter shaft, like 3 N 1 oil. don't drown it. you don't want it to run down into the started. wd 40 is a no no.

jkering66

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. I will take off starter and clean it and the connections to it.

The boat has (2) battery's, and when starter engages, seems to have good power spinning the fly wheel.

Thanks

Zamboni

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can you move the bendix freely up the shaft by spinning it with your fingers-or does it sort of bite into the starter shaft jamming there?

capnstabbin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The spring actually pushes down on the gear that must rise up to engage the flywheel-so changing that won't help. Take the starter off, take bendix gear off and clean everything well. I just went thru this with mine, didn't find any gunk that was causing 'binding' to prevent the starter spinning from throwing the bendix up thread to the flywheel....many others have though.

With my merc starter when the flywheel threw the bendix back down it would bind....no marks but it seemed like thread teeth would cut into the shaft stopper and jam. does yours jam when you spin it quickly down with your fingers(starter removed) I filed the thread ends smooth, that helped a little but it still jammed needing a nudge sometimes with screwdriver to loosen the bendix before starting. I didn't have a machine washer to fit between the bendix and shaft where it would bind-so put a plumbing rubber o-ring there. It fit tightly in place and is showing no signs of wear after about 20 starts-even though I can just prop the bendix loose if that o-ring gets chewed up it still bugs me-going to install a brass washer there.

All that is assuming your starter is actually spinning fast enough-make sure your problem isn't cable connection etc.

I am experiencing this same exact problem with a brand new cheapo starter, I should have know the price was too good.

I lubed it up really good with no diffrent results,

If I un plug the spark plugs so the engine never fires, I can attempt unlimited starts, as soon as I plug the plugs back in though, the force of the motor firing forces the bendix down so hard the grooves dig into the shaft.. Im gonna try make a "stop" of some kind witha rubber grommet or washer