Starter not engaging after running

WebbieWorks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 98 Evinrude 115, the motor starts and runs at first, but then when I turn it off and try to start it again, it seems like the starter is not engaging. It has to sit like 60 mins for it to even try and start again. Brand new starter & I checked all connections and they seem to be fine. I am lost as what could cause this.

Attachments

• NoStartHB.mp4
    5.4 MB · Views: 2

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
cables and connections may "seem to be fine" yet the cable "end crimps" will sometimes oxydize internally and impair current flow so everything needs to be top shape incl. solenoid to starter and starter to ground connections .

as a qwick test try to jump BAT +12 directly to the starter post to see if it kicks up properly if YES... then current flow is being restricted somewhere

it could even be the solenoid internal contacts that are progressively getting pitted

if current flow is not the issue then the starter internal contacts may be going and need an overall.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Was the original starter inspected before beer tokens were spent on a new one ???-----He stated " brand new starter " in post #1.-----" BRAND NEW " would indicate a factory replacement and not a cheap one from an online merchandizer !!

airshot

Rear Admiral
Being easy and cheap try checking your battery...a full charge is 12.6 volts and above, 12 volts is actually a dead battery, anything below 12.2 needs charged. Getting a load test is usually free at most auto centers..

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
well true.. missed the " new starter" so it should... point to a curent flow issue if the battery is any good.

curious to know if the direct +12v to starter post wakes it up....

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Pull the flywheel cover off and check the Bendix. Sounds like some grinding going on there. On that motor the starter has a small gear on it. Under the flywheel cover is the Bendix and another gear.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Use jumper cables from your car or truck, direct to starter. If starter spins freely and fast, you know it's not the starter. Next suspect should be the boat battery. Have it checked at an auto supply store to see if it holds a charge, and have them load test it.

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Starter solenoid getting hot maybe....get it to the condition and then jump it like mentioned above.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I have a 98 Evinrude 115, the motor starts and runs at first, but then when I turn it off and try to start it again, it seems like the starter is not engaging. It has to sit like 60 mins for it to even try and start again. Brand new starter & I checked all connections and they seem to be fine. I am lost as what could cause this.
I may have missed your point. If you are saying the starter spins up freely, but doesn't engage (at least at times). it sounds like the starter isn't mounted properly or the bolts are not torqued properly.