Starter motor turns when the up switch on the trim is engaged

rkmnoles

Seaman
I recently purchased a used pontoon boat with a 1997 40 hp 2 stroke on it. The t&t switch when pressed in the up position will make the starter motor turn. The starter won’t engage because there isn’t enough power to run both motors I presume. The tilt motor will run for a second and then stop. Push the up button again and it will do the same thing. Jumping the wires from the motor side it does the same thing. I was thinking maybe a control box issue at first. Any help is appreciated.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
I would guess a chafed wire issue. Up trim wire chafed to the starter motor relay wire.

Why not check the two wires for continuity to each other?

rkmnoles

Seaman
I will take a look at that first thing tomorrow. There is a covered junction box on the right side of the motor that may hold a clue. I am not very familiar with Yamaha wiring as everything else I own is OMC.

rkmnoles

Seaman
Bosco99 there are 2 black wires that comes from the relay that are connected to the hot lug on the starter. Those 2 wires and the up/down wires have continuity. There are 2 red wires coming from the relay that go to the hot side of the starter solenoid. There is a black and a white wire From the relay that hook to a terminal with the tilt motor wires. A green and a blue wire from the relay that hook into the wiring harness. I am probably wrong but I wouldn’t think the black wires would go to the starter lug. In my search for the answer to the tilt and starter running at the same time it seems I must have blown a fuse or something. I could turn it over with the ignition key and try tilt would try to work now nothing. I’ve looked for fuses and are unable to locate any. There is a spare fuse under a cover but I can’t find a fuse holder. I can jump the solenoid and the starter will turn. 1997 40 hp C40PLRV.

Last edited: