Starter is dead

scorpion264

Recruit
This is about my 1982 Chriscraft Scorpion 264 I/O with GM 350 Mercruiser 260 hp motor with rochester 4 brl.....Starter was replaced with new one by a certified mechanic 4 yrs ago...now when I turn my key my nothing happens. No click's no sounds..nothing. The fuse at my key is good. All gauges come on and battery power is up with switch set to all. Control is at neutral and it is the type where you push the center button in the handel to maintain the neutral position so as to be able to increase or decrease engine rpm' after starting. The starter is very hard to get to and unless you have very small hands and body you would have to partially pull the engine to be able to pull the starter. Could this be solenoid's or the control handel? How do I troubleshoot this?

vipzach

Lieutenant
Re: Starter is dead

Use a DVM and start seeing if you have 12v to the starter and solenoid. <br />BTW welcome to iboats!!

scorpion264

Recruit

Thanks for the quick reply. I will see if my body can get close enough. How likely is it to have a problem with the actual drive control since there is no apparent draw on my gauges when I try to engage the starter at the key?

vipzach

Lieutenant

There is a decent chance, you can temporarily bypass that kill switch and try it. Please don't make it a fix though!!!

ron7000

Banned

use a BFH on the solenoid,<br />or if it's hard to reach a LFH should do.<br />The solenoid is probably sticking/stuck.