Starter install help.

bigbadchevy89

Seaman
My son was trying to help and pulled my starter off of my 4.3 gxi for me. After reinstalling like he says it came apart I have no power at the helm. I have a red 12 volt cable coming from the battery, a yellow wire as my ignition source and 2 black cable not currently sure where theyv run{have to commute back to boat}. He believes these 2 wires came from the starter side of the solenoid. I say they had to have been with the 12v battery wire. Does anyone know where I can find a wiring diagram for this setup or verify what pin they go on?

alldodge

Staff member
Don't know which GXI but they all have Red on starter post and Yellow/Red on the starter solenoid. The pic is to a GXI C or D which is MPI

With no power to anything you might have blown a fuse

Attachments

• GXI_C_D.jpg
    GXI_C_D.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 13

bigbadchevy89

Seaman
Ok
Don't know which GXI but they all have Red on starter post and Yellow/Red on the starter solenoid. The pic is to a GXI C or D which is MPI

With no power to anything you might have blown a fuse
This is my first volvo. How would I identify wich gxi? Here's a engine pic I found does this help?

Attachments

• received_2688688811408416.jpeg
    received_2688688811408416.jpeg
    38.4 KB · Views: 6

alldodge

Staff member
Again for the most part it doesn't matter. The A model is TBI and the others are MPI, but the starter wires are the same

bigbadchevy89

Seaman
Again for the most part it doesn't matter. The A model is TBI and the others are MPI, but the starter wires are the same
Ok. I misread your other message I apologize. Trying to head to the boat this week one evening and check it out.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Try to get down by the starter and take a pic of the wiring on the solenoid. There is a wire that you didn’t mention that goes from the solenoid positive terminal up to the alternator B+ (output) terminal. Is this in place?

bigbadchevy89

Seaman
Try to get down by the starter and take a pic of the wiring on the solenoid. There is a wire that you didn’t mention that goes from the solenoid positive terminal up to the alternator B+ (output) terminal. Is this in place?
Just seeing your response for some reason. I haven't got back to the boat yet life unfortunately is happening. I will get that pic asap though.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
In most cases. there is the main battery cable , then a red,or red/purple .This is the boats main power connection,then the yellow/red wire to the solenoid Some use an additional wire from the other small post on the solenoid to provide voltage to the electric fuel pump for cranking

bigbadchevy89

Seaman
In most cases. there is the main battery cable , then a red,or red/purple .This is the boats main power connection,then the yellow/red wire to the solenoid Some use an additional wire from the other small post on the solenoid to provide voltage to the electric fuel pump for cranking
Thank you

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yep there are 3 terminal staters & 4 terminal starters. When buying a new starter you need to check yours first. I also like keep a spare starter solenoid in my spare parts bin just in case because these sometimes fail whereas the rest of the starter itself can be fine. I like ARCO starters & alternators.