Starter / Electrical issue. Always cranking

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, I have a 2004 Merc ELPTO 50HP. Today after day on the water, I started the engine, and noticed the starter was still spinning, even after the engine fired and was running. I loaded the boat onto the trailer, but could only get the starter to stop running is by disconnecting the battery. I've looked over the cables leading from battery to starter, and all look good.

Any idea what this could be, or what I can check. Is there something that could keep it stuck on?

Cheers!

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Starter / Electrical issue. Always cranking

So after reading through some others who have had similar issues, it seems that it could be a "stuck solenoid"? I will take it off the powerhead tonight and test it.

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Took the solenoid off. Attached a battery to the pos "s", and neg to the "i". Solenoid clicked like it should.

Hooked it back up to the powerhead, connected the battery and now it's working correctly again. Do these things get "unstuck"? I should probably replace the solenoid just to be safe.

diesel1960

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi,in some cases is your starter commutator rotor worn-dirty or brushes gone bad.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Solenoids are not that $$ and easy to replace. I would replace it now as it had to be stuck already once. Only other trouble could be the wireing from the control to the motor or key switch is shorting out that would cause the starter to stay engaged. JMO.
Oldman570

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. I just ordered a new solenoid, and I'll keep my used one as an emergency backup

StangGO

Cadet

Keep a hammer around if the starter is still spinning smack the starter body and or solenoid it is pry just sticking cars truck as an basically anything with a starter do this occasionally

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

It is best to never hit the starter with anything , as the field magnets are usually glued to the outer case and will break or come lose and will render the starter to the scrap pile. It is OK to tap the solenoid of the motor as it is not attached to the starter, and is the trouble in your case, if needed. The high amperage that passes through the contacts of the solenoid burn them and will have the tendency to weld them together at times. JMO
Oldman570

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

It can also be that the Bendix needs lubing and is simply sticking up on top of the shaft.