Starter differences between Auto and Marine

ponyman460

Seaman Apprentice
Can someone please explain to me in a nutshell what the difference is?

Engine is a Chevy 350. Trying to find out if I need to order a marine specific starter or anyone will do.

I found a High Torqe Mini starter on Summit for $111 +shipping and would like to order it if it is compatible with my application.

THanks in advance.

Rick

dockwrecker

Lieutenant
Re: Starter differences between Auto and Marine

Absolutely NOT! Marine starters are sealed units to prevent sparks that could ignite fumes in the bilge. It's also illegal to run a non marine starter in a closed I/O environment. Best bet to save a buck is take youur marine starter in to be rebuilt.

ponyman460

Seaman Apprentice

Absolutely NOT! Marine starters are sealed units to prevent sparks that could ignite fumes in the bilge. It's also illegal to run a non marine starter in a closed I/O environment. Best bet to save a buck is take youur marine starter in to be rebuilt.

that is exactly what I was looking to confirm. Thank you. I will get mine rebuilt

Rick

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I found a High Torqe Mini starter on Summit for $111 +shipping and would like to order it if it is compatible with my application.
Rick

For a conventional starter Dockwrecker is absolutely correct, however if you are talking about a permanent magnet gear reduction starter like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...5867841QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear
they are marine rated (check with dealer to make sure). I replaced one on my 470 engine for less than the rebuild, and they are small.:)

ponyman460

Seaman Apprentice

For a conventional starter Dockwrecker is absolutely correct, however if you are talking about a permanent magnet gear reduction starter like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...5867841QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear
they are marine rated (check with dealer to make sure). I replaced one on my 470 engine for less than the rebuild, and they are small.:)

wow that is cheap. I am not sure that I know the difference between a conventional and the permanent magnet gear reduction starter that you have listed. It says that it will fit the 350...how would I find out if that will fit my boat? It looks like the same starter from the pic, but I am sure that is just a stock pic.

Thanks for the link!

Rick

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I am not sure that I know the difference between a conventional and the permanent magnet gear reduction starter that you have listed.

I am no expert, and I think it works this way: Both just electric motors, and while a conventional starter uses field coils (electromagnets) to turn the armature, the PMGR starter uses permanent magnets. The motor in the PMGR starter turns at a higher RPM then the conventional starter, so it uses a gear reduction head to slow down the output RPM and increase torque. I don't know how they will hold up over the long run, but mine has worked fine all summer. They listed some part numbers at the end of that listing, if yours matches you should be OK,I would think. Good luck.

magnumdeke

Chief Petty Officer

I worked in the rebuild field for several years, the difference in a marine starter vs. auto is a screen at the drive end that we could add for about 1.00$ that added 75$ value to the starter, if you could keep your old starter and get new auto cheap enough it would not take much to change during spring season we would rebuild all our common interchange starters with that screen and sell based on use age, if it was boat that costs more because it is pleasure, granted DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND ME MARINE REQUIRES THAT SCREEN, EXPLOSION PROOF WITH IT, STOPS NORMAL SPARKS RELATED WITH OPERATION FROM GETTING OUT, but that is the difference 1 screen usually reususable from old starter

a70eliminator

Captain

I worked in the rebuild field for several years, the difference in a marine starter vs. auto is a screen at the drive end that we could add for about 1.00$ that added 75$ value to the starter, if you could keep your old starter and get new auto cheap enough it would not take much to change during spring season we would rebuild all our common interchange starters with that screen and sell based on use age, if it was boat that costs more because it is pleasure, granted DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND ME MARINE REQUIRES THAT SCREEN, EXPLOSION PROOF WITH IT, STOPS NORMAL SPARKS RELATED WITH OPERATION FROM GETTING OUT, but that is the difference 1 screen usually reususable from old starter

You forgot to mention drain holes in the snout.
It's actually the J designation stamp on all marine starters that the inspectors look for.

crewscontrol

Seaman

ALL starters, marine and auto, require several hundred amps to operate. Anytime you switch that much current, you create a major spark when the starter contacts close and again when they open. If you have fuel vapors inside the engine compartment, you will get a BIG BOOM.

A marine starter is supposed to have extra shielding to keep the spark contained inside the starter housing, while auto starters do not. There may also be other differences between them.

This extra shielding WILL NOT always prevent an explosion if fuel vapors are present inside the engine compartment. That is why you MUST run the blower for several minutes to remove any fuel vapors from the engine compartment before engaging the starter - even a marine starter.

xeddog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is why you MUST run the blower for several minutes to remove any fuel vapors from the engine compartment before engaging the starter

. . . A marine rated blower . . . aka spark proof.

Wayne

ponyman460

Seaman Apprentice

thanks all! I appreciate the info!