Starter bolts snapping, looking for a permanent solution

vjanda

Cadet
Hi all,
I bought a 1999 trophy 2052 wa last year.
It's powered by a 3.0 135hp Mercruiser.
The starter has broken 3 bolts since. :facepalm:
This winter I had to have the engine pulled. The new bolts only lasted about a dozen trips.
My starter uses 2 bolts of the same length and they are not inline.
The cost of sea rescues and pulling the engine has really spoiled the ownership of this boat.
What's most frustrating is that every else is brilliant but this seemingly small issue screws things up (pardon the pun)
One of the bolts can be replaces easily as its end show through a hole topside.
The one closer to the starboard side screws into the block and it's almost impossible to remove it without pulling the whole engine as it's end doesn't show.
I am desperate for a solution to this issue.
Two ideas I had were to : either install a brace that would support the rear of the starter against the engine providing a third point of support.
I don't know how this would work as my starter doesn't have one and I'm told they were only ever present on older starters that had the 2 bolts inline.
A mechanic that says the 3.0 has a very regular tendency to snap these bolts suggested I cut off a small part of the block that would allow me to drill out the closer bolt end that is at present concealed.
I am open to any suggestion and would much appreciate to learn how this can be solved.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Re: Starter bolts snapping, looking for a permanent solution

?I don't know how this would work as my starter doesn't have one and I'm told they were only ever present on older starters that had the 2 bolts inline.? ----- not true

Parts catalog shows the brace you need. --- It?s listed under starter

https://webapps.brunswick.com/literature/literatureSearch.do

vjanda

Cadet

Thanks, I'll try and get a brace installed for extra security.
I just came back off the boat. I removed about an 1" off the corner of the block thus revealing the problematic bolt that couldn't be removed unless the engine was pulled. I removed the broken part in a couple of minutes. Now my nightmare is solved as I'll always carry a couple of spare bolts to sea.
Phew, I was just about ready to give up on the whole deal and sell the trophy.
Going after bluefin tomorrow again :)

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

May be using the wrong length bolts or suffering from a hydro-lock condition.install just the bolts to spec and measure the length from block to head of bolt, compare that with the measurement of the starter height.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

another option is to go with a lightweight gear reduction starter. doesn't require bracing at the motor end, and a lot easier to lift into place too.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

another option is to go with a lightweight gear reduction starter. doesn't require bracing at the motor end, and a lot easier to lift into place too.

No --- even the gear reduction starters should have a brace.
They are listed in the 2012 3.0L parts catalog.

vjanda

Cadet

Main thing is that I can now easily remove either of the bolts should they snap.
I'll still try and get hold of the brace to make things more secure as the 3.0 goes through these bolts
like crazy.
Looks like the brace I need is part# 863212