Starter Bolts Coming loose on 4.3 Mercruiser

bill70

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought a boat with a Mercruiser 4.3 lx v-6 carbureted. I was told the boat needs the timing reset. I discovered that the starter bolts were half way tightened after hearing a loud metal on metal noise when i went to start it for the first time. I tightened up the bolts, reset the timing and it ran great. I then had to trouble shoot the fuel pump, and figured out the connection on the starter solenoid was rusted out. I then removed the starter, cleaned all the connections and reinstalled it. I then went to start the motor and one of the starter bolts had broken off. I am assuming i overtightened the one bolt when i went to reinstall it, i did not use a torque wrench. So my question is, is this a common problem on these motors? Or is it possible that the fly wheel or the starter is warped or somehow caused the bolts to come loose or break. I ordered a new bolt and am waiting for it to arrive, but i just had second thoughts because i don't remember tightening the bolt so much that it would break.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Starter Bolts Coming loose on 4.3 Mercruiser

because i don't remember tightening the bolt so much that it would break.

Ayuh,... It probably already had Problems that you didn't see...

You should get a Pair of New starter bolts,... The 1s with the knurling on the shank,.....
And,.. If you can find it, the forward support bracket for the starter...Or make 1 outa flatstock...

Did you get the broken bolt Out, or are you pulling the motor,..??

Btw,... Welcome Aboard....

bill70

Seaman Apprentice

I luckily got the bolt out easily just using a pick. The knurling your talking about, it that the ~1/2 inch section right bellow the threads that looks like a bunch of diamond shaped engravings in the bolt? If so, then yes I did get that kind, i ordered it from go2marine.com. Do you have any suggestions of where to look for the forward support?

Thanks for the reply and help.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Search in somebody's Merc. On-line parts lookup sites for it...
I've seen 'em in the picture lookups somewhere....

'ell,... once you see the Picture,... You can probably build 1...

bill70

Seaman Apprentice

Cool, thanks... I forgot to mention that i noticed that one of the motor mounts was also not tightened. Do you think that could cause extra vibrations and cause the starter bolts come loose? The guy told me the engine was replaced with a 2000, probably why its loose. Did they make carburated 4.3 mercruisers in 2000?