starter bendix

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The starter bendix on my 80 85hp Rude died. The top part of the bendix is eaten away and won't turn the flywheel. In my search for a new one I've found there are two starters for that engine. The one I have is a Prestalite model # 586283. The dealer can't find it and might have to "make" me a replacement. The other starter is a Bosch starter that I don't have serial # for. A new Prestalite will cost about $215 w/shipping, from a parts house in Jersey, the dealer will be more if either can find it. Does anyone know where I can find either starter for a good price or it that the best deal I can find.<br /><br />Dutch

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Re: starter bendix

The price may be about the same (just depends on the starter), but I recommend ARCO in Florida. They have a great website with pics -- service is good, and my local rebuilder says their stuff is the best around. I've bought a couple of starters from them, and I'm happy with them. Do a Yahoo search. <br /><br />Speaking of local rebuilders, you might check to see if someone locally can fix your Bendix.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

You might want to check with your local NAPA dealer. They handle O/B starters.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks you guys for the info. I took your advise and called NAPA here in Mesquite and the best price he had was $206. I did a search and came up w/ a better price at Tenkiller Marine for $168 and it would be something I can get parts for if need be. So it looks like that's the way I'll go.<br />Now I'll go back to work on my wiring problem and <br />see if I can get my tach and water pressure gauge to light up. Thanks for the replys, they are priceless.<br /><br />Dutch

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello.<br />I had a simular problem.Took it to a local starter and generator repair shop, I lifted out of the yellow pages and the complete repair came up to 89 dollars.<br />The same thing might work for you.<br />Good luck.

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just wanted to thank you guys for leading me to a great deal. I took your advise to take my starter to a starter/generator shop. While they go over my starter they are looking for the bendix and could find it. Meanwhile after hours of searching I found a starter place in Tenn that has the part for $24. It will be shipped tomorrow.<br />Thanks for all the advise,it's saved me money and made me even more proud to be a member of this board. <br /><br />Dutch