Starter Bendix stuck

I have a 1995 Force 70 HP. The starter Bendix stuck engaged with fly wheel. I installed new starter and attempted to start motor - after about eight attempts to start the new Bendix stuck engage with flywheel. I was able to free Bendix using socket to tap Bendix free.

Thank you for your help

topgun3690

Ensign
What brand of starter did you get? And was the old starter the original factory one?
A lot of the new starters available out there are cheap Chinese junk....a better option is to clean/rebuild the orig factory starter.....usually all they need is a good cleaning and maybe new brushes.

What brand of starter did you get? And was the old starter the original factory one?
A lot of the new starters available out there are cheap Chinese junk....a better option is to clean/rebuild the orig factory starter.....usually all they need is a good cleaning and maybe new brushes.
Thank you! Yes the starter was original. Replacement is ARCO 5393. The original Bendix gear is frozen in the up position. I will dismantle and check. Can I assume that the starter issue is not related the any stator issues? Thank you for your time

topgun3690

Ensign
ARCO is a pretty good brand from what I have heard.....you might try calling their customer service and tell them about your problem....may be defective? Is not a stator issue.....is your battery good....load tested?

topgun3690

Ensign
1691341487412.pngI would keep the old factory starter.....is pretty simple to rebuild/clean....might need it later.

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
I've always smeared a little marine grease on those things to prevent this. I've also had to purchase and use starter shims on outboard starters before.

I've always smeared a little marine grease on those things to prevent this. I've also had to purchase and use starter shims on outboard starters before.
Thank you - I will try lubing the Bendix gear. I appreciate you for responding!
ARCO is a pretty good brand from what I have heard.....you might try calling their customer service and tell them about your problem....may be defective? Is not a stator issue.....is your battery good....load tested?
Thank you for responding!
Thank you for helping me. Here is the resolution. Original Bendix failure was due to nut at top loosing enough to allow the Bendix gear to over ride the starter gear. The new starter is now working - lightly coated the starter shaft with dry lubricant. I will rebuild the original starter as a spare. Thank you All!

topgun3690

Ensign
The original Bendix gear is frozen in the up position. I will dismantle and check.
I missed that when I read it.....the shaft the bendix rides on needs to be lubed every so often.....with a light oil. You may find serious corrosion when taken apart. As for the new bendix binding, may be a shim problem like brodmann said......

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
Once you get it loosened up, try turning the gear and lifting it with your hand or with a screwdriver. If you can feel the gear binding or fitting really tight against the flywheel, you'll need a shim. Basically, anything will work to space the starter away from the mounting area. Shims are usually measured in 32nds of an inch, but if you had a piece of 1/16" aluminum sheet, you could probably make a spacer if you have tin snips (aviation cutters) and a drill and drill bits.

Good afternoon all, I thought I had posted this earlier, but did not see in the thread. I dismantled the original starter and found that the nut on top of the bendix had loosened, which allowed the bendix to over-ride the starter shaft gear. That caused the bendix to bind and I found the spiral gear inside of the bendix was damaged. Thank you for the instructions to lubricate the new bendix - that solved my new starter issue. I have added checking the starter nut to my maintenance list!

Thank you everyone!

Nordin

Commander
Good news. yes I agree with jerryjerry.
It is almost the best way to go with starters to restore them.
They with last forever with good maintenance.
Cleaning, change springs and brushes and sometimes change the bushings/bearings and they last forever.