starter and rectifier 87 Merc 45

scotts0709

Cadet
1.) If the shaft and gears that move inline with the flywheel to start engine do not go back down after spinning the flywheel how do I fix this ? Is there a way (I have already sprayed WD40 on the shaft as recommended by my local shop) or do I have to replace it ?<br /> <br />2.) My buddy who I used to trust to do simple things hooked up the battery cables causing reversed polarity. I am told that this can short the rectifier in a second. The boat ran but not well right after that. Now with the starter shaft stuck inlione with the flywheel it does not start at all. Before I noticed the starter problem it would almost turn over while turning the key but as soon as I tried to let it idle it would die. <br /><br />3.) Also right after the incorrect hook up on the battery cables I had trouble with it running at full throttle and the temporary fix was to contiuously pump the primer bulb on the fuel line. Seemed to be a separate problem w fuel flow. It had been run hard and put away for about a month without running it dry of fuel.<br /><br />Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: starter and rectifier 87 Merc 45

1. Clean the shaft the bendix slides up and down on with emory cloth and lube it with something heavier than WD-40 (it dries out quickly)<br />2. Replace the rectifier.<br />3. Rebuild your fuel pump.