Starter, alternator, and Trim motor

Short and simple, how can i check and see if:
The starter, alternator, and trim motor, is good and if not how to replace (parts)
i.e. the engine has not run in 5 years and has no battery or wire hookups to control. Seems like all the wires are still connected between engine components though.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
There must be battery cable, unless someone removed them. if they are there, hook up a battery, try the switches. If there are no battery cables, you co7ld use jumper wires to test the components.

wrench 3

Commander
You can check the starter and trim system with a battery and booster cables. I'd need more information on your engine to tell you how to hook it up. The alternator has to be run to test it, but most rebuilders will test them for free if you remove it and take it to them.

I have a Mercruiser 3.0L GM model engine from a 1986 Galaxy Admiral. If there is anything else you need to better help don't hesitate to ask.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
How about some pics of the engine bay, so we can see what if any wiring looks wrong.

trim motor

down along the starter

sorry abut that i have another forum of the entire restoration project i am doing on the boat and posted a bunch of pictures there but i guess i forgot to but some on here too.

wrench 3

Commander
To check the starter, connect the negative booster cable to any clean spot on the engine. Connect the positive to the large terminal with the rubber cover on the starter solenoid. Jump that terminal to the small terminal closest to the engine and the engine should crank over assuming that the engine and drive aren't seized. A screwdriver will work fine to jump the terminals.
For the trim motor, clean a spot on pump motor for the negative booster cable. preferably one of the bolts. If the control switch is still hooked up, connect the positive cable to the red wire to the right of the picture and operate the switch. If the switch isn't working, remove the plastic cover to the right of the picture and touch the positive booster to either of the larger terminal at the top or bottom of the solenoids to run the pump up or down.
It would be a good idea to remove the spark plugs and put a couple of squirts of oil in each cylinder before you try to crank the engine, with the plugs still out.
Also noticed that the main circuit breaker is missing. Nothing is going to work normally until that is replaced.

I figured when I first looked at the engine a lot of the wiring would have to be redone at least to get new wires in. But thanks for the advice I will follow up on what happens and more questions if I need