Starter 70hp, fix or replace?

Ocean31@bellsouth.net

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1976 70hp Johnson with a sometimes starter problem.

Sometimes when starting the engine the starter keeps running after the engine is started. You all have been there, it is when the starter gear drops down, but the starter is reving like crazy.

So the question in everyones experiance is?..... Tear it down, clean and see what is wrong,or.... send it out to a shop for rebuild,or.... purchase a new or used one?

What has been the forums experience?

Thanks
JSB

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Starter 70hp, fix or replace?

Starters don't start by themselves, you have a key switch and a solenoid between the battery and the starter which is the culprit, if the starter spins and does it's job then it's working as it should. I'd put my money on a bad solenoid.

Ocean31@bellsouth.net

Seaman Apprentice

Starters don't start by themselves, you have a key switch and a solenoid between the battery and the starter which is the culprit, if the starter spins and does it's job then it's working as it should. I'd put my money on a bad solenoid.

Probably did not explain myself well,

I have replaced the solenoid, actually that is what was wrong with the engine in the first place, well.... along with extremely dirty carbs.

When the engine first kicks over, normally the flywheel will spin the starter gear back down. And when you let go of the spring loaded key switch the starter stops trying to run. However in this case the the starter gear drops, but the starter keeps running after the key switch is let drop into the run poistion.

Are you thinking the key switch may be sticking? Not a bad point. But normally when you have a sticking key switch the starter gear tries to push up against a turning flywheel, right? In this case the starter gear drops down, but the starter keeps on running, and with no resistiance, it revs very high. Maybe a little better explanation from me?

Thanks

JSB

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Probably did not explain myself well,

I have replaced the solenoid, actually that is what was wrong with the engine in the first place, well.... along with extremely dirty carbs.

When the engine first kicks over, normally the flywheel will spin the starter gear back down. And when you let go of the spring loaded key switch the starter stops trying to run. However in this case the the starter gear drops, but the starter keeps running after the key switch is let drop into the run poistion.

Are you thinking the key switch may be sticking? Not a bad point. But normally when you have a sticking key switch the starter gear tries to push up against a turning flywheel, right? In this case the starter gear drops down, but the starter keeps on running, and with no resistiance, it revs very high. Maybe a little better explanation from me?

Thanks

JSB

Hmm... does the starter start going as soon as you turn the key to the run position? Or does this only happen after you turn the key to the start position and back to the run position?

You have a shorted connection at the solenoid, in your ignition switch or you have wired the solenoid incorrectly.

I think the least likely culprit is the starter motor. The starter motor itself cannot run without power running through the solenoid.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

The kicker, did you replace it with a proper marine solenoid or an automotive one?

Ocean31@bellsouth.net

Seaman Apprentice

The kicker, did you replace it with a proper marine solenoid or an automotive one?

Couple excellent questions. So.......

1. This event only happens after the engine is started. And not always. Actually a slight tap on the starter with a small ball peen hammer is what I have been doing when the event does occur. Maybe just timing, but the stuck running starter will not occur for at least a couple more starts. So short answer is event only occurs when key switch to start and back to run.

2. Marine solenoid. I found solenoid are not that expensive, and in truth I never thought of going to a automotive store for a outboard solenoid

When I got the engine, it had very dirty carbs and the starter would not work at all, basic trouble shooting showed the solenoid was bad. I replaced the solenoid, and the engine would run only with the choke on. So.....carb cleaning/rebuild time. 5 months later I finally got around to getting the carbs done. Now the engine runs like a champ, but I do have this sometimes starter problem WIth the engine (and the controls) just sitting there for a few months, I may have picked up a sticking contact point. The controls were kept in the garage, but this not mean the key switch still might have gone bad. Hope not, I would hate to have to move all those wires over to a new key switch.

Thanks for the replies, Within the next couple days I will check all the contacts.

BK The King, On the other side, finally got my awlgrip convertor and reducer in, I will repaint this 70.s hood with white, and put the new decals on. I ended up using factory rattle cans on the 1990 70hp hood. I do appreciate that picture. Instead of 50.00 of decals, I just got some multistripe pin striping from autozone and used that.

Thanks again for the replies
JSB

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the starter is not going to run, unless the solenoid, is activated providing power, the solenoid is not going to provide power, unless it is sticking (bad solenoid), the key switch is bad, or wiring shorting. it is that plain and simple.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Well when it happens again put your hammer away and get out your test light. Test in 2 places, first place would be the ignition terminal of the solenoid that is fed from the switch. If it lights up there when it is happening then you'll know it's a switch issue, if it isn't occuring at the terminal test the large cable going from the solenoid to the starter, if it lights up then it's the solenoid. It's the only logic here, starters don't just turn on by themselves unless your boat is haunted.