Starling-Jet Troller P-500 outboard

Rowroy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My father dropped one off at my house yesterday. He even included some 30 year old gas in the accompanying gas tank. He said that he thought it used a 5hp Clinton powerhead, but wasn't positive.

It appears to have some sort of weedless jet-style drive on the lower end. The last time it ran was in the mid-70's, but it still cranks over.

I thought it would be kind of cool to bring it back to it's former glory and get her running again.

Does anyone know anything about these things? Fuel/oil ratio? Source for parts? General knowledge?

I've already contacted a member of the Antique Outboard Motor Club (http://www.aomci.org), but am awaiting a response.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starling-Jet Troller P-500 outboard

It indeed does use the Clinton J9 motor I have an old aftermarket service manual that covers many motors , the Clinton and The lower unit of the Starling.The lower unit is covered on a single partially filled page.
Clinton has been out of business for some time.You may find some clinton stuff at a small engine shop or on Ebay.Various service manuals appear on ebay regularly.There is a early and late version of the lowerunit. early has 8 parts late has 12 parts.Late model has 2 piece turbine housing and intake grill.
Also a grill door.

Rowroy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info!

Any idea on the oil/fuel ratio?

Rowroy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great! Thanks for the info.

SalMan

Recruit

EDIT: That's two strikes, SalMan.

1. Replying to an old, dead thread is very bad manners.

2. Offering a private transaction is strictly forbidden.

Please read our rules. Thanks for your future cooperation. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mrcrabs

and would like to sell it
Now thats against the terms of use:eek: ....and on the back of 3 year old thread by a first time poster,:facepalm:

JB's going have to come along and administrate