Star Registry

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class
Has anyone ever heard of naming a star after someone? How about paying 59 dollars for this. Every mushy holiday i hear adds for doing this on the radio. Nice scam if you ask me. Has anyone else ever heard these advertisements?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Star Registry

Yup. At least one source is valid. My Brother had a star named for his late wife. Out there somewhere is "Gracie" with a number that I don't remember.<br /><br />Sorry I don't have details.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

I was going to do this for my girlfriend as an unusual xmas present so I had a good look around on the web for it. It appears that the star registers they use are their own , not the official lists that scientists use. They get around this by publishing a book with the names and positions in that you can also buy-therefore your star is ONLY listed as that name in their company records and in their rather expensive book. It sounds like a real good scam to me.<br /><br />If you want to check it out just type "name a star" into a search engine and you'll have a whole load to look at.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Oh yes, it all over the airwaves<br />It is the sort of business that in Europe is called a "luft gescheft".(air business).The very slick salesman tries to sell you a lot of nothing, while convincing you that you have bought something.For those who think to claim property rights in case of colonisation of space,relax, it will take a while.