Standard prop on Merc 2000 9.9 4 stroke?

NMShooter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
(Hmm... tried to post but didn't seem to go. Apologies if this gets posted 2x)

I have a 2000 9.9hp 4 stroke long shaft merc on a 14' Starcraft. The Starcraft has a floor, casting deck, trolling motor, and a hefty 12V battery. With just me in the back, it runs 9.2mph and never gets on plane. Motor sounds bogged down and does not sound like it runs up to RPM.

When I look at the prop hub, I can see no markings for diameter and pitch. I suspect that this motor has the factory prop on it (don't know, I am the third owner).

I checked Mercury specs page, and they don't list the standard issue prop size.

Any idea what the "standard issue" 9.9 4 stroke prop is? I want to bump down one size in either pitch or diameter.

Thanks!

Frank

WesNewell

Chief Petty Officer
There isn't a standard prop. The size prop you want will depend on what boat you put it on. Try any of the online prop selectors.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
All portable motors comes factory delivered with a prop, it's the standard (medium pitched prop) which surely is a min 9 or max 10 pitch. There should be a number stamped on the body or on any of the blades, check...

There are a lot of issues for the motor not to rev up as one would want to such as : motor/transom height, trim setting, number of souls on board, deck load distribution and running a prop not suited to power well that application..

What need to do as a starter is to buy an induction tach, go for a wot spin as usually loaded and report max wot rpm achieved on flat calm water cond, compare the numbers achieved to the min 5400 max 6100 wot rpm range to know which rpm the current installed prop is achieving. Will know how much less prop pitch to drop for motor to run towards its max wot rpm range which is preffered in a portable motor powering a large boat.

Would recommend a Hardline Hour/Tach model HR-8063-2, can install it next to the tiller grip.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The only way to prop right that application for a underpowered motor to run towards its max wot rpm range powering a heavier and larger boat is installing an induction tach removing the current prop installed, take it to a prop shop and have it measured to know the current diam and pitch as seems there's no info stamped on the current prop to go from there...

Happy Boating