stand up bimini top

muffmooch

Cadet
I would like to make a stand up bimini top with side curtains for my starcraft. I have found a place to buy tubing and fittings but I can't find a pattern for the canvas. I have a seamstress friend who will do the sewing for me if I can find one. Anyone know of a source to buy patterns? Thanks

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: stand up bimini top

Pattern will most likely have to be custom made to the frame you build.<br /><br />You can make a cheap trial and error top out of old bed sheets, tack them together and adjust and alter as needed. Then use that as the pattern to make the canvas top.

BillP

Captain
Re: stand up bimini top

This is a real basic explaination of how to do the cloth. It does not cover hemming or re-enforcing details but you can get those by looking at another bimini top. There are several different ways to join fabric panels and make seams but I wouldn't get hung up on which is better (for a homemade top). Double back tape from a fabric shop will help with hemming and holding pieces together. Depending on fabric the edges will need to be sealed (melted with hot knife) or hemmed to prevent them from unraveling.<br />You can learn the basics by bending a mini frame from wire cloths hangers and draping thin fabric over it to learn how to mark the cloth. Use clothspins to clamp. Also, a large (10"-12"ish)radius on the frame bends will make it easier to make cloth patterns.<br /><br />1. Set the frame up as it will be used...on the boat or secured on the shop floor. Use masking tape, etc., to maintain frame tube spacing.<br />2. Sew your cloth together and make one big piece that will cover the entire frame (needs to overlap a few inches). Make the seams so water will run off and not catch.<br />3. Drape the cloth over the frame and clamp all around. Use the spring loaded clamps found at HomeDepot type stores to hold fabric tight. Do forward and aft first, then take up the middle section.<br />4. Mark with chalk the underside of the cloth around the tubing to get angles. <br />5. Remove cloth and cut angle marks.<br />6. Overlap side edges with a hem of approx 1-1/2" (yardstick width perfect). Fwd and aft hems will be provided by the tubing pockets.<br />7. Make matching pockets (4-6" wide) to slide frame through and sew them on each end and one for center frame tube. You may want to do the center pocket as the LAST item, after fitting to the boat.<br />8. Make allowances for straps or tubing for hold downs.<br />9. Assemble and mount on the boat. Pull tight and if necessary, make final marks for loose cloth (darts are used here). Again, center tube final measuring and pockets best done now.<br /><br /> <br />Is that clear as mud?