Stalls on Reverse?

evilnss

Seaman
So on Friday we took the boat out, dropped it in the water and tied it up to the dock. and started it up, and let it idle for about 5-8min while we parked the trailer and such. When we go to leave, I put it in reverse and it shuts off/stalls out. toss it back in neutral and turn it back on and it fires right up, put it in rev and it does it again. eventually we floated away from the dock enough i just tossed in in forward and went out.

After about a 20 min ride, we are pulling into the lakebar's dock, and im idling in and i go to put it in rev to slow it down while we are putting into the dock and it goes in reverse fine and does whats its supposed to do..

We go eat, and about 45-60 min later we go back to the dock. and hop on in and go to leave. Start it up, let it run for about a min or two and goto put it in rev, and shuts back off. (This time i wasn't wanting to be untied all the way, but taking my mother out with us this time, she tries to help and sometimes she helps too much. so she unties us all the way and i end up sideways between two docks EMBARRASSING!!!) but still the same thing. put it in rev and it shuts off. but it would go into forward fine.

Any Thoughts on this? Maybe it just wasn't warmed up all the way?

John

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Stalls on Reverse?

Ayuh,... The lower shift cable is worn out,+ needs replacing...

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Bondo's right and don't just try to replace only the core it won't work.

evilnss

Seaman

Ayuh,... The lower shift cable is worn out,+ needs replacing...

Fantastic!!!!

How many hours of labor am i looking at with a mechanic doing it? or is this something I could do? I pretty good with working on my own stuff. as long i can get an idea of how it works and such.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Not a terribly difficult job. Head up top in the "adults Only" sitcky and you will find a link with the OEM manuals to help.

evilnss

Seaman

Thanks someone told me to spray wd40 on to the cable and that could help? Thought on that?

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks someone told me to spray wd40 on to the cable and that could help? Thought on that?

Ayuh,... Spray all ya want,.... It won't fix athing...

They Wear inside, replacement is the Fix...

evilnss

Seaman

Ayuh,... Spray all ya want,.... It won't fix athing...

They Wear inside, replacement is the Fix...

Sounds good. He mentioned b/c its been setting for awhile. but no biggie, Im all about doing things right not halfass. I have some firends going out with me on sunday. so i was more looking for a bandaid, until i could get it into the shop. (after i find a shop to take it to) i'm pretty mechanically inclined, I have done blower swaps, trans swaps, rear end swaps and such on my cobra. I curious on as if i could do this myself as well.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

replacement is the answer - drive has to come off first though. and you will need the merc tool for the shift cable - or if you have a couple of deep well sockets and a welder you can make one.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

you're going to need a 9/16 extra deep socket and check the gimbal bearing,bellows and U joints while your in there:)

evilnss

Seaman

Problem Fixed: Replaced Shift Cable.

THanks everyone for your help and support