Stalling when warm

hopes&dreams83

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 99 bayliner with a 5.0 merc alpha 1 gen 2. It has a 2 barrel Sierra carb. The engine is rebuilt only about 3 or 4 hours on it so far. Also rebuilt the carb. I finally got it running right after setting the float height in the carb and now ot runs great on the first start up. No issues. After I drive it around it for a bit it doesn't want to idle and needs full throttle to start. I could be wrong but I don't think there is an iac valve on this engine. Just an electric choke. Other than the idling issue it seems to run great once I do get it started.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
take off the FA and check if fuel is dripping as you are stopped , the float may be a tad too high, just enough to allow a drip.
only a small amount will cause flooding.

Scott06

Admiral
As mentioned see if float bowl is overflowing or dribbling fuel down after shutoff. Open the throttle is how how clear a flooded engine to start it.
would also check fuel pressure if fuel is overflowing the bowl.

too high fuel pressure
damaged dirty or non functional needle and seat
float hanging up or water logged.

these are thongs that can cause what you are seeing

hopes&dreams83

Seaman Apprentice
Sorry what is FA?
Also not sure if I mentioned it but I was having bigger problems before I adjusted the float. Maybe I over adjusted it? There were 2 measurements in the manual but I couldn't get them both lined up at the same time. When I bent it it would throw off the other measurement

hopes&dreams83

Seaman Apprentice
OK so I went out on a hunch and adjusted the electric choke since that's about the only thing I haven't touched on this boat and the adjustment seems to have done the job. If it starts up again I'll check out the other things you guys suggested thanks. Ide still like to know what FA means if someone can fill me in