Stalling Problem!!!

Ok so I have a 1971 Mark Twain w/ a 165hp Mercruiser inline6 inboard motor. My problem is when I start is it will run great for a few mins and then the choke kicks off if runs really rough and then after a couple mins it will stall out slowly. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I can possibly do to fix this problem. Thanks

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Stalling Problem!!!

Have you set/adjusted the idle? There is a mixture adjustment on the carb as well as an idle speed. You adjust the mixture to the smoothest setting (highest vacuum) and decrease or increase the idle speed to the recommended rpm. Engine has to be warm, choke full open when making these adjustments.

I have tried to set the idle. But it's kinda hard to do when the motor stalls every few mins. I can't leave the boat running for very long because I had to bypass the resistor for the coil to get it to start. I don't want to buy a second coil. Oh and another ques. is there a way to make my own resisitor out of some wire and a ceramic resistor. Thanks

searay3

you may have to play with the adjustments a little. Try turning up the idle a little, then play with mixture, turn down the idle etc...you can get a ballast resistor at the auto parts store. I would think you could get resistor wire? I would fix your electrical issues before chasing the running issues. Make sure the starter is wired properly etc. The ignition is wired properly etc. Then you can start working the carb issues when your sure the electrical is not causing your problems.

cooter2506

What did you do to get the not starting problem solved? Maybe you have a plugged vent for the fuel tank. Did you check the fuel tank pick up screen? Screen in the carb? Do you have a fuel water seperator. If so did you change that? QUestion really is are you losing fuel or spark? My guess is your losing fuel. Do you have a resistor wire on the coil now? If you dont maybe you are over heating your coil causing it to stall.

I ended up getting new points and condenser. That fixed the spark problem, I rebuilt the carb and changed the fuel filter. I guess my next step is checking the pressure on the fuel pump. I tried wiring an inline resistor to the positive on the coil and the resistor got really really hot so I unhooked it.Any other ideas?