Stalling Engine

My 1994 5.7 Mercruiser I/O with Alpha Outdrive (270HP)starts, idles and runs fine under power, but when I am docking, as I shift from forward to reverse(and/or vice versa)it invariably stalls. (I do wait about 3 seconds before changing throttle directions.) Not a good thing in windy conditions; coupled with me being a novice boater, it makes for some hair raising times at the dock.And it usually takes a while to get restarted, which has made for a couple of less than graceful leaps for the dioock before we hit.<br />Does this sound like a simple problem that just needs some minor tweaking, or should I leave it to the mechanics?

tommays

Admiral
Re: Stalling Engine

usally this is caused by a bad lower shift cable binding and not allowing the shift interrupt switch to return to its correct positon when shifting<br /><br />the switch kills the motor quickely to allow the motor to come out of gear <br /><br />when its working right most people dont even realize its there<br /><br />tommays

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class

I found on my 88 4.3 the cable and the shift interupt were bad. replaced cable and it still shift hard(no stalling)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Section 4A of the Merc service manual explains in detail how to replace the cable and readjust it properly. See link below.<br /> Service Manual 14 Index <br /><br />nothinbig:<br />You probably have either a bad cable from the controller to the engine or a bad controller.

Thanks to everyone for the input, this is an invaluable source of information, especially for a novice boater