Stainless Vs. Alum. Help please!!

Hello I have heard a lot of pros and cons on this subject. and I am in need of a new prop. I have a 1974 85hp Johnny sitting on a "74" Slickcraft ST170 Tri-Hull. The prop I have now is a Mich/Match alum/13.25 x 17". It's old and has been worked to death. I have seen same prop new and mine has considerably less surface area per blade. This is making it hard to get the hole shot. It takes "several" seconds to get on plane. With a FULL load, several minutes if at all. My top speed in any situation, is around 35mph. This boat should get around 40. Any suggestions?

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: Stainless Vs. Alum. Help please!!

35 isn't that far off....<br />You may pick up some performance by going with an SS in a 17".<br />2 questions: what is WOT RPM now?<br />#2, is your engine mounted at it's lowest point on the transom-is it setting directly on the transom?<br /><br />EDIT: I should add that most boats gain weight with age-this may be one issue..<br />Another option would be vent holes in the hub of your prop, if the prop is in good to excellent condition now.