Stainless prop

kyle1317

Recruit
I'm looking to get a new stainless steal prop. Not sure what to get but been looking at the turbo ones. Right now I have a triton tr-165 with a Yamaha 90 on the back using an aluminum prop with a pitch of 17 and is 13 1/5" diameter. At full throttle it runs about 5200 rpm and I've read that it runs at best at 5500 rpm. I'm wondering what I need to change to get the rpm up and to get a better hole shot.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I believe for every 2" of pitch you drop, rpms are increased an average of 300-400, so sounds like if you went to a 15 pitch you'd be where you want to be. See if your local marina would let you try out a few before buying?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Yams usually run 5-6K wot revs. Better dial a prop for current load for OB to run at full wot rpm. Once there can throtttle less to 5500 if you like.

Going for a 15 prop will pull wot revs higher, if 2 less pitch will produce 400, 600, 800 rpm is not known. Need a wot run as usually loaded on flat calm, no wind water cond to check that out. Load, hull type and HP adds to dial the correct prop to run at full max wot revs. A 15 pitch should be a good starter prop. Assume those Yam props comes in 2 pitch increment/decrement sizes.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Don't know. Once your OB is revving at near full wot revs, hole shot will be improved...

Went from a 9 pitch to an 8 and hole shot as currently loaded was superb than with factory niner.

Happy Boating

kyle1317

Recruit
The prop I'm looking at is 13 1/2" diameter the one I have now is 13 1/5" diameter will the fraction of an inch make any difference in anything