stabilizing pedestal seats

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i have 2 pedestal seats (18" high) on my boat that i need to stabilize for rough water use. they are secured just fine but they sway uncomfortably when underway in the chop. any suggestions?

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: stabilizing pedestal seats

Do you mean they swivel while underway in the chop? I don't see how a pedistal seat can sway, unless its loose in it's mount.

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

it's not about swivel.they are about 18" high from the deck to seat bottom. they sway back and forth a ways as you ride thru rough swells. i weigh 245 lbs and most passengers are close to 200. so it's like a heavy lever action on the lower base and there's enough give in the whole pedestal assemblies that the seats sway. i want to stop this.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Somehow you're going to need to get under the seat pedestals ( deck )themselves and add a backing plate. Usually they are just attached to the deck with through mounting screws or bolts. The bigger the plate the better. I'd recommend something like 3/8" aluminum - aviation grade if you can find it.
It may not be the easiest job in the world but it will stop you from 'rockin' and rollin'.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

what kind and how old is the boat?

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

59 glasspar seafair sedan 18". it's got a solid bottom plate, by the way.

mphy98

Lieutenant

what kind of pedestals do you have, if you have the cheap ones they will sway, the larger the base and seat platform the less sway.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

59 glasspar seafair sedan 18". it's got a solid bottom plate, by the way.

If this is a new problem then you might need to reattach the deck to the stringers for added strength. 50 years is getting along pretty good. Might be time for some refastening of all the deck components to the stringers.

chiefalen

Captain

You got a rotten deck.

Replace the deck with 3/4 marine grade plywood. But just place the wood where the seats are then drill the holes where you want to mount the seats, lift the wood and then thru bolt the bottom plate deck and the seat together, and then make the deck secure to whatever your securing it to.

Good luck !

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks, guys.i'll get back on it tomorrow.