Sta-Bil o.k. to use?

ChalkBoy

Seaman Apprentice
Hello..it's me again. I have 85hp Force. I was told not to use fuel stabilizer (Sta-Bil). Can anyone confirm this? Should I be using fuel stabilizer in my mix? If so what brand?<br /><br />Thanks! :confused:

Ron Whitnwy

Cadet
Re: Sta-Bil o.k. to use?

Sta-bil is fine to use and is actually recomended in the service manual of my Evinrude. No worry about varnishing or going bad and you dont worry about running the gas out of your carb at the end of the season and take a chance on slightly damaging your motor. (considering it is 2 cycle and the oil is in the gas).<br />Go for it and enjoy the next time you use it knowing your not going to rebuild your carbs :) <br />Ron

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Personally, I don't see the advantage of mixing a stabilizer in your fuel until you plan to winterize the engine. Of course at that time you'd definitely want to add a good quality fuel stabilizer. <br /><br />Walt

Liam

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I agree with Walter. There is no need to add stabilizer to your fuel unless it will be sitting for excess of three weeks. Definitely use it prior to storage. Do not empty carbs prior to storage!<br /><br />Liam :cool:

Valv

Petty Officer 1st Class

It all depends on your location (gas type) and how often you use boat. If you let it set more than a couple of weeks, yes use it, it will keep varnish and gum out. If your gas has alcohol, yes use it, since it will help eliminate water. I live in MN and gas has a lot of Ethanol, I use it constantly and never had a problem. In my opinion, since quantity is so little and cost minimal also, I use it most of the times.