SS vs Aluminum

laurido1992

Cadet
I recently bought a 06' VIP Vincente 232 and it came with an aluminum prop. I'm debating about getting a SS prop for it. the boat runs good with the alum prop. Would it be worth the money to get the SS. I've heard different things. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: SS vs Aluminum

Laurido, There is lots of debate on the performance gains of a SS Prop. Also most of the higher technology propellers are only available in SS. They are also the most pricy. Is the gain worth the $$???

I run SS props because I boat in a shallow, sandy bay. Hitting the bottom will tear up an aluminum prop, but the SS props are never damaged. It therefore makes dollars and sense to use SS.d:)

PS The only place to tube or ski is in a creek near my house. The creek is 2-3' deep with mud and soft silt. If you want to do those activities, you need a SS prop, and a new aluminum one each couple of days.d:)

laurido1992

Cadet

I was also told that the SS could cause some severe damage to the drive unit. I heard that the newer SS props come with a special feature that instead of messing up your drive unit, some kind of coupling gives way and it cost a few dollars to replace. Is this true?? By the way do you recommend 3 or 4 blade. I do mostly cruising. Skiing and tubing every now and then. thanks for the assistance.

Crownie2

Petty Officer 1st Class

One big reason most people are interested in running a SS prop is that they are more efficient - they normally give you more speed at the same RPM's. This is good even if you are not a speed freak because it gives you better fuel mileage - which is a good thing now with current gas prices.

You are right about the new hub systems - they are supposed to protect the rest of the drive system if the prop makes contact with something it shouldn't. Although I have never actually heard of someone breaking a drive running a solid hub (rubber hubs are also used to protect the drive) I am sure it has happened.

As mentioned, they are more expensive, so it is a great idea to start with an aluminum prop and then it can be a gauge as to what SS prop you will need - and then the aluminum prop can become a spare.

"Most" people go with a three blade - four blades being reserved for high mounting (speed) applications or for heavy loads. The exception to this is if a lot of wakeboarding is planned - four blades will usually hold lower speeds better for boarding - especially on a boat your size.

Also, four or even five blades are often used for water skiing because they can give better low speed acceleration in most cases.

Bob

CoveSeeker

Seaman Apprentice

The hubs don't necessarily prevent damage to the gears. At a marine mechanic shop I saw a bass boat lower unit gears that were chewed up after an impact running a ss prop. Also saw the flow torq hub that did split in half on impact but didn't prevent damage to the lower unit.
I was at the shop because i had sheared most of the blades off my aluminum prop and was getting the drive gears checked. There was no damage to my gears, but i had only backed into somethin at idle speed.

walleyehed

Admiral

Either prop may, or may not have anything to do with gear failure..
As I've said many times, the gear failures "usually" happen when a direct hit to the lower unit occure, and when the unit has been neglected.
The RPM at impact also has alot to do with what gets damaged.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I have bent the blades on an alum prop hitting a limb 1" in diameter at low rpm's with a 125 hp engine; believe it or not. I put a SS on that boat and never touched the prop again.

I have a boat now that I was messing around with the prop. Took off a 24 pitch SS and installed a 23 Alum. The alum was a Hustler and supposed to be high perf. Cost me 600 rpm's and 6 mph. It's currently back in the box and sitting on a dusty shelf.

I'll take my chances with the gearbox.

Mark

laurido1992

Cadet

thanks for all the input. I'm going to upgrade to a SS. I like the idea of better gas mileage, plus it looks nicer than the black aluminum prop. I will let you know how I like it.

Crownie2

Petty Officer 1st Class

laurido1992 said:
thanks for all the input. I'm going to upgrade to a SS. I like the idea of better gas mileage, plus it looks nicer than the black aluminum prop. I will let you know how I like it.

May I take the liberty of recommending the Merc Enertia?

Bob

laurido1992

Cadet

I've looked at them and they look very nice. I'm just not too crazy about the price. Any other ones you guys recommend??
Thanks!!!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

iboats have a sale on props. Maybe one's there within your pricing aspirations.

Mark

Crownie2

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Solas Titan looks like it would be a good choice.

Bob.