Spun Propellers?

kameika

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Everyone?

Do spun propellers just "break free" entirely? ..Or do they get worse over time?

I've had a huge number of problems. I replaced the propeller, problem goes away.

What kind of behavior have you collectively seen from a spun propeller?

Also, what causes the propeller to fail?

anything that can be done to fix a spun prop?

I'm using a V6 engine, 15.5" prop, by the way.

TY!

Ken.

Gordonm

Cadet
Re: Spun Propellers?

Depends on the prop. I had one spin on me years ago. It was on a V6 and it had a rubber hub. It would idle around fine and go at low speeds OK. Then when it would get a lot of torque, 1/2 throttle or more the engine would rpm up but the boat would go no faster. It was just spinning in the hub. It will get worse. Time to get it rehubbed.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

propellers are made, that when they hit something, they protect the lower unit gear box, the prop gives instead of tearing up gears, hopefully.
the prop is built with and inner metal hub, and an outer metal hub with the vanes. between them is a pressed in hard rubber bushing, this is the protection. once damaged it progressively get worse, the bushing looses it grip on one of the hubs, thus the hubs are now not turning at the same speed, which increases the damage. here is a picture of a prop. prop shop can repress an new bushing into the hubs, and reconditions the vanes, basically a new prop.

Attachments

• spun prop.JPG
    spun prop.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 0

dimock44

Petty Officer 1st Class

Everyone?

Do spun propellers just "break free" entirely? ..Or do they get worse over time?

I've had a huge number of problems. I replaced the propeller, problem goes away.

What kind of behavior have you collectively seen from a spun propeller?

Also, what causes the propeller to fail?

anything that can be done to fix a spun prop?

I'm using a V6 engine, 15.5" prop, by the way.

TY!

Ken.

Yes they break all of a sudden and usually at high RPMs. The reason they are some what usable at lower speed is the rubber gets hot real fast and when you slow down it gets sticky. That's why you can go slow for a while. If you keep trying to go fast it will stop grabing altogeher. The you get to paddle in. Here a reply in an earlier post

As a point of interest, if you suspect you have a spun the prop the best course of action is to proceed at a slow rate of speed and return to shore and the boat ramp if possible. In the event the prop quits responding altogether, sometimes you can put it in reverse and go a little farther as the rubber will grab and hold for a short time. I once went 2 miles in reverse and made it to my launch point.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

A new hub consists of the metal inner part that goes onto the shaft, and a rubber piece that is molded on the metal. In other words the rubber was "made on" the metal and is stuck to it. Then that hub assembly is pressed into the blades part, rotating it as it goes in. After assembly is done, the hub can still be rotated inside the blades part if you apply enough torque. It is the cushioning effect of the fairly soft rubber, combined with the ability to rotate or "slip" under extreme loads that protects your drive train.

The problem occurs when the rubber breaks free from the inner metal hub. After that, the inner metal hub spins inside the rubber and quickly gets worse as it wears and rubs away at the rubber material.

kameika

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I appreciate this. Folks, I had all sorts of problems at WOT.

Weirdness all around. One of the strangest things: I'd go from 4800RPM to 5400RPM and back again.

Finally, I recalled a few guys here talking about "spun hubs"

I put my spare prop on (I carry it in the anchor well) -- all the problems disappeared.

I was dumbfounded.

It's worth it $-wise to have the hub repaired? Is it a DIY job or send it to someone?

TY Again!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

as far as i'm concerned these guys are the best in the business, and reasonable. you may find a local shop. it is not a DIY job. it is $ wise to have it rebuilt, it comes back just like a new one. http://www.custom-ps.com/

kameika

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, Gents. I surely appreciate everything.

I'll get the prop to the guys you suggest!

-Ken

Gordonm

Cadet

I see you are in Red Bank. There are numerous shops within driving distance to you. I have two fairly local to me here in Marlton. I'm sure being closer to the shore there are plenty around you also. Check the references though. Definitly not a DIY job.