Spun Prop or Something Else?

Sabbath

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all.

Finally got my boat out on the water with the help of another user off here (spool)

Boat went OK, until i hit high rpm, near WOT where the engine would over-rev, until i brought the throttle back, and then punched it again upon where it would climb in speed, and then over-rev again.

Had my mate take a look over the back to makesure the prop wasnt seeing fresh air while it was free reving which it wasnt.

When i got back, i removed the prop, and found the rubber bushing to be in as following condition. I believe this could be causing the issue, where the hub has gotten to the stage where it loses grip on the prop at high RPM, causing the slip as it appears to have shrunk and deteriorated.

Pictures are below: Boat is a 14ft fibreglass, 115hp Chrysler outboard. No idea of weight of the boat. Prop is a Solas 0D 3x13 25x17R

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0713.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

I cant get the boat to water to test with the white dot method. Im quite happy to just replace the prop if i get enough consensus that that could be what's causing my issue, but i would hate to spent a couple hundred on a new prop to then need something else.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Spun Prop or Something Else?

I cant get the boat to water to test with the white dot method. Im quite happy to just replace the prop if i get enough consensus that that could be what's causing my issue,

Ayuh,... The odds are ya found the problem,...
But,..
Can't say for Sure, without testin' it...

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Spun Prop or Something Else?

How about a picture of the whole prop as the leading edge of a blade did not to to good in one picture.....

Sabbath

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Chrysler Prop - 115hp

Chrysler Prop - 115hp

I realise this is my second thread in here in 24 hours, but it's a bit more specific than my last....

So as per my other thread, i've definately spun my prop. And the condition of the old prop is pretty bad so based on the economics it's going to be cheaper for me to buy a whole other prop, than repair this one.

WHICH is the wrong prop for the boat anyhow. Well, not wrong, but incorrect.

Currently it has a prop on it which has venting for the exhaust through the prop, which the Chrysler doesnt need to have. So looking on Ebay, i've found another prop which i THINK is the right one but need some confirmation from you guru's before i spend my money

Current Prop is:

SOLAS 0D 3x13 25x17R 15 tooth

New Prop is:

Manufacturer - Michigan Wheel Corp
Size - 13 1/4 x 17
Part Number - 072107 (old # SPC.180)
Shaft Size - 15 Tooth Spline Rubber Hub
Rotation - Right Hand
Material - Aluminum
Number Of Blades - 3
Cupped - No
Condition - New out of box