springtime outboard use

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
My outboard is about to come back from the shop after a tune up (new to me engine) and since the highs are in the low60's I was hoping to splash her after the winter refit. Now, being in MI im sure that before spring is over some of th nights will get below freezing- do I need to winterize it everytime I take her out? Its a 40 hp Force if that matters.... om rather new to boating and so have never used a boat this early.... im just itching to be out on the water! :D

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: springtime outboard use

Ummmm, and outboard does not usually need to be winterized. Just make sure the outboard is not tilted so the water drains out.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

I guess I showed how ignorant I am on outboards didn't I? :facepalm: thanks for the reply though!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

All marine engines need to be winterized - I/O and OB alike.

For a OB, it merely involves draining the water (placing it upright), fogging, stabil in the gas, drain and refill the gear oil, etc. Water in the gear oil will ruin the lower unit if it freezes.

"Winter" usually means 6 months or so. Being that its this late in the season, just be sure the water drains, keep the gas tank stabilized and check for lower unit leaks. Likely you'll be using it again in a month, so I see no need to refog.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I don't agree.

There are two different processes when you say "winterize." One is to protect from freeze damage--that's the draining part, which is nothing to an OB. I hardly call it "winterizing"; it's simply a storage process. Neither is checking for water in the LU--which shouldn't be there in the first place, and won't get in from occassional use unless you have a problem that needs fixing. it can and should be done regardless of "winter" although checking in the fall where freezing weather may follow is wise.

The second is a function of storage. Fogging, treating fuel, etc., has little if anything to do with winter. If you only used yuor boat duck hunting, you'd do it for the summer. If you use the boat every couple of months, it's unnecessary.

And I don't know about the rest of you, but I have only found water in a LU once, in many years and many motors. That was one I just bought used so it "came that way" and needed to be re-sealed. And I believe it sat outside for several winters like that, with frequent, but not constant, freezing temps. Not saying you sholdn't check, but you shouldn't expect to find water, either.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

I don't agree.

There are two different processes when you say "winterize." One is to protect from freeze damage--that's the draining part, which is nothing to an OB. I hardly call it "winterizing"; it's simply a storage process. Neither is checking for water in the LU--which shouldn't be there in the first place, and won't get in from occassional use unless you have a problem that needs fixing. it can and should be done regardless of "winter" although checking in the fall where freezing weather may follow is wise.

The second is a function of storage. Fogging, treating fuel, etc., has little if anything to do with winter. If you only used yuor boat duck hunting, you'd do it for the summer. If you use the boat every couple of months, it's unnecessary.

And I don't know about the rest of you, but I have only found water in a LU once, in many years and many motors. That was one I just bought used so it "came that way" and needed to be re-sealed. And I believe it sat outside for several winters like that, with frequent, but not constant, freezing temps. Not saying you sholdn't check, but you shouldn't expect to find water, either.

Thanks HC! I've read all of the threads where I/O folks were worried about temps dipping below freezing and I was unaware that this is not a problem with a OB. The fogging and fuel treatment I knee about, im just very new to boating- most of the time I've only owned projects instead of using them and now that I have a running one I did not want to screw anything up by using it early in the season.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I guess its semantics. Most of the manuals call it "off season storage". We say "winterize" our boats because we don't normally use them in the Winter. I do the same thing to my snowmobile. I guess we should call that "Summerize".

I agree if the storage period is short it doesn't need to be fogged again - and that's what I said in the first place.

Philster

Captain

O/B's self drain when lowered (not tilted up). Water in the engine and exhaust drain down and out. Gravity is their friend.

I/O's push water up while runing, then it drops out (is pushed out). When an I/O is shut down, water sits in the block and the exhaust unless someone lets it out.

Winterizing is an issue of storage for self-draining engines such as O/B's; it's about protecting the internals from corrosion and doing some other stuff related to the passage of time more than the freezing temps.

I know this insight has been mentioned above, but just wanted to make it more concise.

On another note: Of course, if you plan on leaving the O/B on a boat in a wet slip, you generally leave it tilted out of the water, but if freezing temps are a risk, you actually want to leave it down and in the water.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I keep mine in the water now, and lower the motor when freezing temps in the 20's or lower are predicted. However, my neighbor 300 yards across the cove with the same motor never lowers his, and he's has his boat there for several more winters than I. Our water seldom freezes, the motor is typically out of the wind, and it's salt water. My point is, I think it's smart to lower it but it's not the end of the world if you don't, in our kind of weather.
I also think the smaller the motor, the more likely to have freeze damage.
A tilted up motor on a trailer will catch water in the prop, too, so don't drain and then raise it.