spray on bedliner

tcitruck

Recruit
I have a 2007 24ft. Bentley. The carpet stays mildewy and moldy. We pressure wash regularly, but it stays damp and therefore, funky. I was wondering if you could spray or brush on bedliner over carpet?

I tried taking a peice of carpet out, and it was ripping the wood up. I just as soon leave it down and paint? or bedliner? over it.

Thanks for the advice.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: spray on bedliner

If pulling up carpet is bringing wood with it, the deck is rotten and needs to be replaced. Bed liner material is heavy, hot, and slippery when wet with bare feet.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The carpet on a 2007 Bentley should not be bad unless you have not properly cared for it. If the mold and mildew is the problem, clean it good, keep it covered when not in use and use a small dehumidifier. A fan on a timer will also work. If no power is available, then use a tee-pee type cover with plently of vent holes. Mold and mildew require a warm and damp area with no direct sunlight to grow. Eliminate the warmth, dampness or provide lots of light and the mold and mildew will no longer grow.

vergil

Petty Officer 1st Class

i am redecking an old pontoon and my opion on the bedliner vs carpet, is carpet belongs in a house not a boat, the bedliner stuff i am looking at is the hurculiner, not slip when wet, not hot as it comes in a very light shade of grey, (almost white) and there is no way it is heavier then wet carpet, marine carpet or not it holds some water, but i do believe the poster does need to do some research on the subject.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

You can out bedliner onthe boat but not over the carpet, I would think that it would add alot of weight by the time you got all the carpet covered, you need to pull the carpet to do it right.

If you think carpet is hard to remove think about trying to get it out with bedliner on it.

If it pulls the wood you can fill in the probelm spoots before you liner it but it has to be pulled, it may help also to leave the baot in the sun for a bit to soften up the glue if that is an option where you are, it is -3 here so that wouldn't work where I am.

Jobless Recovery

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Something's really wrong here, I would highly recommend a visit to your closest Bentley Dealer. The rotting wood deck shouldn't be happening, the wood is chemically treated and pressed at factory installation. The Mfg should be willing to compensate you for the cost or a portion thereof at the very least. The only thing that's going to help is to give plenty of sunlight and air so the carpet and wood can dry out. If it appears that the wood is rotting the only proper fix is to rip it out! Hope you get something out of Bentley. Good luck.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Something's really wrong here, I would highly recommend a visit to your closest Bentley Dealer. The rotting wood deck shouldn't be happening, the wood is chemically treated and pressed at factory installation. The Mfg should be willing to compensate you for the cost or a portion thereof at the very least. The only thing that's going to help is to give plenty of sunlight and air so the carpet and wood can dry out. If it appears that the wood is rotting the only proper fix is to rip it out! Hope you get something out of Bentley. Good luck.

+1. Something ain't right. Please Please Please do not put spray on bedliner on your Bent. That would be sacrilege. First isolate and eliminate the cause of your symptoms, then consider whether the carpet and/or deck need replacing. If so, there is a product made specifically for barges that looks and feels like carpet but isn't carpet. However, before you take any action you really need to figure out what's going on. A phone call to Bentley is in order.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

If the original Bentley company was still in business, it would be worth a call to them. But the new owners have made it clear that there are no warranties of any kind on previous models (Including the 07' year). I'm surprised the wood is delaminating already though. But if it stays wet all the time, that could be the cause. Either way, the bad wood would need to be replaced before any other type deck covering is used.

lamac

Seaman Apprentice

I have used this before on other decking jobs over wood and aluminum and it works great and seems to seal and protect the wood. I suggest light gray or beige color. You must remove the carpet and bad wood first. I have a rubberized decking on my current pontoon a 21' Suntracker it came that way with the salt water package and I love it. Keep us updated.
Good Luck.