spray carb cleaner

trackerdave

Seaman Apprentice
how effective is spray carb cleaner at getting rid of varnish and other gunk?

angus63

Captain
Re: spray carb cleaner

Great for the throat and throttle plate, but does nothing for the jets and nooks and crannies where most of the issues reside.

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer

how are u using it ? just sparying in and around the carb ? or are u using it in a carb rebuild ? are u trying to clean a carb on the motor because its not running well ?

trackerdave

Seaman Apprentice

trying to clean a carb for the engine not running well. Trying this before a rebuild kit.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Spray carb cleaner is excellent for cleaning disassembled carbs and of little or no use in cleaning a carb still on the motor. The same would apply to any other carb cleaner. When the manual says to clean the carbs they don't mean the outside. Think of how a carb works it sucks fuel into the venturi from orifices attached to the jets which are in the bowl which is supplied by the float valve. How in heaven would spraying something into the venturi travel upstream against the flow of fuel and arrive at the stuck float valve 900 miles upstream (figuratively) from the venturi? Take those carbs apart!

trackerdave

Seaman Apprentice

ok,ok Jimd. I'll take the carb apart already! although I must warn you that my knowledge of outboards however growing, is still pretty limited. Are you suggesting a rebuild kit or just cleaning the existing carb? If cleaning the existing one won't I have trouble getting a good seal when reseating the old gasket?

captain spike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

all new gaskets if possible and compress air thru your jets......

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Carb rebuilt kit includes all new gaskets. Only about $18.00 per kit and about 1/2 hour labor + soaking time. Not difficult at all, just take your time.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Why would you go through the trouble of removing the carb, disassembling it, cleaning it thoroughly, and then puttting it back together with all the old parts. Carb kits are cheap. The carb is the life blood of your engine. One that runs lean will kill the motor. Don't try to save a buck. Do it right.

trackerdave

Seaman Apprentice

Will do, might even include a few pictures of myself dropping sockets in the lake! Thanks again for all the responses, I'll update the board on my progress.