sportwin 9.5 float bowl vent, where is it?

georgeJeff

Cadet
Can anyone tell me exactly where the float bowl vent is located? I have an open hole just under the carb throat (where the choke is located). Is that it? I thought it was one of those holes that was supposed to be plugged with lead shot, if this is the float bowl vent, I have some undoing to do. Thanks. Motor is hard to start, doesn't idle well, dies when put in gear under load. Will stay running in reverse though, and the bulb never really gets hard regardless of how many times you pump it.

New carb kit, points, condensers, coils, head gasket, manifold gaskets, water pump. Motor will be at the bottom of Cumberland river soon without the least hesitation, eqivacation, or mental reaervation. I'll post GPS coordinents and tape a 9 cents to it so your efforts won't be in vain.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: sportwin 9.5 float bowl vent, where is it?

If you stuck a plug in that hole, take it back out. Most likely the float bowl vent.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Looking at the carb from the starboard side, there will be 2 welch plugs. A larger one, then on top of that, a smaller one, then above that, below the throat is the small vent hole. Do not plug this hole.

That being said, you are not the first one to have trouble fine tuning these 9.5s. They were great when new, can be a bear now.

Your needle is not seating, OR the float is not floating. Time to revisit that carb. At least these carbs are very easy to take on/off and rebuild.

If it will only run with the cowl off, you have an exhaust leak. Common problem on these. Another common issue is bad motor mounts, making it shake, throwing off the ignition. I wont do motor mounts on these for anyone, myself included. Guys like F_R could probably do them with ease, I hate doing them :)

Last edited:

georgeJeff

Cadet

Thanks so much everyone. I have indeed plugged the vent, and very well I might add. Now to undo my genius!

Yes I have read the above many times, even bought ink to print it out. The gentleman who wrote that has graciously suffered my ignorance through email a time or to as well.

What exactly are the symptoms of a clogged vent hole?

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Aw, come on High Trim. Once you replace all the mounts on the first motor the rest are easy. I've done a lot of them with no probs. The only problem now is getting parts.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Aw, come on High Trim. Once you replace all the mounts on the first motor the rest are easy. I've done a lot of them with no probs. The only problem now is getting parts.

LOL no thanks just don't find it fun ;) A lot of guys will hate me for this, but I just hate working on these little buggers!

I have rooms full of parts. Just lacking the motivation.

JRegier

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"Rooms full of parts" you say? AND in Hamilton?... Hm... I'll have to PM you...

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

"Rooms full of parts" you say? AND in Hamilton?... Hm... I'll have to PM you...

Yes I have a very forgiving wife allowing me the full basement at our home to store parts and over 100 antique outboards, lol.

nwcove

Admiral

Yes I have a very forgiving wife allowing me the full basement at our home to store parts and over 100 antique outboards, lol.

does the wife have any "forgiving" sisters? im willing to trade my not so "forgiving" wife for a 1956 jonson 5.5? lol

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

location of the carb vent hole has come up before here recently. I have nine or ten '57s of various horsepowers, and I think some may have a small hole and threaded plug under the bowl. I take these to be drain ports. Vent ports are on the upper half of the carb. I think as a possible rule of thumb, if the hole is threaded, it's not a vent hole.

If you have unplugged the hole you are describing (under the carb bowl) and the motor still isn't running well, then the hole (and plug) probably wasn't the issue. And if the hole is threaded, and gas leaks out of the bowl with the hole open, it is probably a drain hole and should have the screw replaced.

nwcove

Admiral

:) Too funny.

ok....i'll throw in two chickens and a miniature goat? curb and gutter warrantee tho! ("get er to the curb...you got er! )

Last edited:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

oldboat1, the 9.5hp Sportwin has a vertical throat, unlike the carb setups you are thinking about from your '57 lineup. The hole in question is indeed a vent hole. Not threaded.

Tim, you are getting closer.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

Thanks, High Trim. Good excuse for me to be on the lookout for one of the 9.5s in need of some care. Don't really need another project motor, but then that's never the point....

JRegier

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wouldn't mind another one.
I picked up the one I've got for $200 and only needed a spark plug. Poor thing looks like she's seen a lot but always starts up second pull and runs like a trooper.
I'm giving her a $200 refresh (LU seal kit, water pump kit, carb kit and points) to get her running good again (slow speed needle has to be 10 turns out for an idle!)

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

dunno, that doesn't sound right -- sounds like the motor is running well without benefit of the low speed adjustment at all. I'm a strong believer in leaving things alone if they are running the way they should, but it sounds like you could just take the low speed needle out altogether and the motor would run fine. Now I think I really need to be on the lookout for one of those little buggers -- curious.