Sports Team Names

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
I guess we give our teams names that represent some quality about us, like Rice Owls (something about Hooters, right?) or Houston Oilers (I never really got that - better than Tool Pushers I guess, but I think they were referring to roughnecks?).<br /><br />But I'm wondering, you know how colleges always just add the word "Lady" to their mascot, like "Lady Bulldogs" (guess that's the nice way to put it) or "Lady Trojans" (try asking for one of those at the drugstore). <br /><br />Do they have Lady Irishmen? <br /><br />And what do the Lady Tigers think when they see Lady Volunteers on the schedule? Sounds like they're playing against the Junior League or something.<br /><br />Do other countries name their teams?

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Re: Sports Team Names

Yah, my wife attended school in the northern part of Wis. Her Basketball team was The Lady Lumber Jacks. Later changed to the Lumber Jill’s....so she heard.

fireman57

Captain

Somehow Lady Horned Frogs doesn't sound very ladylike.

Drybo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sometimes it makes no sense such as: New Orleans Jazz gets moved to Utah. Utah is really known for it's jazz history. And doesn't this sound funny: <br />Baltimore loses to the Colts! <br /><br />Or: St.Louis beats the Cardinals. The citys should have the rights to these names. Whats next, the New Mexico Texans?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Limited-Time:<br /> Yah, my wife attended school in the northern part of Wis. Her Basketball team was The Lady Lumber Jacks. Later changed to the Lumber Jill’s....so she heard.
"I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay<br />I sleep all night and I work all day<br />...."

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

DJ,<br /><br />Then don't post!<br /><br /><br />The females of my school are actually the "Lady Trojans."

Realgun

Commander

Whats next, the New Mexico Texans?
Thats not going to happen but we have the "Lady Lobos." 1 hot team in both ways! :eek:

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

New Orleans Texans seems more appropriate.

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

The girl's basketball team from my highschool are referred to as the Lady Popes. Hmmm, I always thought that was a tad funny.

mattttt25

Commander

thank you CJY, just my thoughts.<br /><br />i think the ladies were still midshipmen at the academy. one of the few terms that have not been changed since women have started attending in the early 80s.

PW2

Commander

The Pac-10 does not add "Lady" to the team names for women. Washington are the Huskies, and USC are the Trojans.<br /><br /><br />Their gender does not make them any less of a representative of their university than the men, and they should go by the proper moniker.<br /><br />And I believe Notre Dame is still the Irish, and I believe at least some of the Big 10 schools also do not add the "Lady" as well. Michigan and MSU for sure don't.<br /><br />And my oldest daughter's alma mater is still the Alaska Fairbanks Nanooks

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by jtexas:<br />
Originally posted by Limited-Time:<br /> Yah, my wife attended school in the northern part of Wis. Her Basketball team was The Lady Lumber Jacks. Later changed to the Lumber Jill’s....so she heard.
"I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay<br />I sleep all night and I work all day<br />...."
"I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay<br />I sleep all night and I work all day<br />I cut down trees. I eat my lunch.<br />I go to the lavatory.<br />On Wednesdays I go shoppin'<br />And have buttered scones for tea.<br /><br />I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay<br />I sleep all night and I work all day<br />I cut down trees. I skip and jump.<br />I like to press wild flowers.<br />I put on women's clothing<br />And hang around in bars.<br /><br />I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay<br />I sleep all night and I work all day<br />I cut down trees. I wear high heels,<br />Suspendies, and a bra.<br />I wish I'd been a girlie,<br />Just like my dear Papa."<br /><br /> --Monty Python