Sportjet 120 starting issues, spark, compression, no start.

boatparty

Cadet
Hi, The engine is a 95' force with a switchbox mercury ignition. I have had this thing for 6 months, broke down for 3. I have had the engine fully rebuilt twice this summer. Once at the merc dealer, once myself. Anyway....there has been starting issues everytime I take this thing out. First it simply lost magnets, I finaly got the right flywheel. It had bad timing and mercury fixed it. Then it wouldnt start. Brought it back and they claimed it was an idol adjustment in the water needed, they got it running. I took it out and had a blast. Next time we took it out and it basically wont start half the time at the launch. It turns over, but acts like no fuel, eventually the battery drops voltage til no turn over. I pull the plugs, they have spark, all of them. I pull fuel line at carb top entry and it has what seems to be a mechanical pump flow, surging as it cranks (always has done this so I assumed nothing since it runs fine when started.) It does not have a study flow like in a car system. I have compression in range and spark. Timing is set with gun light @30-32 BTDC. I am tracking the fuel flow now. I have narrowed the problem to fuel this way. I pull the plugs and there is no fuel on them or even a smell of gas at that. Over the last month (5 times out) I have had to crank over the engine to "prime" the line pressure to get it to start (progressivly getting worse). Clean fuel filter. I assumed a leaky line causing loss of pressure at long down times so it would drain out the gas right? I tightened all lines down again from tank to pump. When it starts finally, it starts like a champion right away as soon as I hit the key all day. At the launch for the next time it wont start again but I would crank for 3 seconds 8-10 times and it would get fuel. I dont get it, is the fuel pump going out or is it in the carbs? The floats are full of fuel....Is there a way to test pressure under cranking for spec to see if pump is bad?

Attachments

• 20120713_185538.jpg
    20120713_185538.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 0

lexer440

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Sportjet 120 starting issues, spark, compression, no start.

Float bowl leak? or maybe the float height is wrong?

Anders67

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi.

Do you have a hand pump (bladder) on it?. If you have pump it to it?s stiff before cranking. Mine also need to pump up if it?s been sitting for a while.

It seems that you have the Auto enrichiner choke system. Check so it works, so your engine are choked cold. If it works you can hear it on cold engine, becaurse it will take like 2-3 minutes before it stops smokeing and engine leans out the fuelmix ( runs a little to rich in mixture). If that not work, it can be hard to fire up the engine.

Gasoline pressure should be 3 psi on ideling , 6 on WOT from fuelpump. It?s common that one of the 3 check-valves (one way valve) are leaking , ore the diaphragm is not fully ok. It is not expensive to change it and if you done that you know it?s ok. If you tear the pump down, check the gaskets to , don?t forget the one between pump and port lid. Becaurse the pump works on engine vacuum. So its need to be sealed. Also check the short black hose from engine to pump. That?s also vacuum on the other side of diaphragm.

boatparty

Cadet

There is no hand pump. It does have the electric enricher. a sensor near the carbs. I will have to pull the hoses apart and check for leaks. I am sure it does not leak but it may have a vacumn leak, that would make sense. Once the unit starts up after alot of tries cold it starts right away all day until next time out cold. Floats are fine. No leaks. I am interested to check fuel pressure 3PSI. Will do this week after work. anyone have the link for the full sportjet120 service manual? I found it one day and deleted the link accidentally. All I have is the ignition pages .

emoney

Commander

Betwixt us, my old SportJet was a bear to cold start. Then, mobile mechanic installed a fuel primer bulb and all those problems went away. Check your local regulations, as I understand that some states you're not supposed to have a primer bulb in an I/O boat. If that's your area's law, verify if the Jet motor falls under this category before following that advice.

Those "auto-enrichers", like anything else can go bad, but it's not that common of an issue. Just inherent in these motors, is a tough cold start. Good luck and keep us posted.

Anders67

Petty Officer 2nd Class

http://motorka.org/doc/mercury/service_manual/jet/SJ90_120_95xr_125xr_831996r1/sec3a.pdf

http://motorka.org/doc/mercury/service_manual/jet/SJ90_120_95xr_125xr_831996r1/sec3b.pdf

Put a see-thru in line fuel filter between pump and carb. Then you see if you have air in system.

Can think that the system drain itself backwards, if not used for a while. And more if some of the check valves not closeing tight in the pump. But if you not have a hand pump, it will be longer way for the pump to such , before fuelpump start press... the system.

I have put in a electric fuelpump on mine now, and it starts better and more easy. Probably becaurse you can hear it pump for a few seconds, before pressure up when turn on ingnition key.