Sport Jet Auto Enrichner - Rich at Warm Idle

Frsmith2

Cadet
Guys,

My Sport Jet 120 is running very rich at warm idle.

Rebuilt carbs, fuel pump, new/tight lines, etc. Good compression. Idle mixture on carbs out 1 and 1/5 turns each, plates and cam aligned.

Ohm'd the auto enrichner today and got a reading of 28. Manual says between 18 and 20 I believe.

Took it off the boat. Applied power to it to warm up, needle seemed to move. Ohm'd warm at only 24. Manual says when its warm it should be approaching infinity.

I blew in it and the few times I tried, even though the needle moved only once did it seem to effectively block my air.

Should I assume there's an issue simply do to the failed ohm test even though I can make the needle move (albeit not with the needle seat housing on)?

I'm suspecting this is my rich issue, still allowing fuel to blow by.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Frank

Frsmith2

Cadet
Re: Sport Jet Auto Enrichner - Rich at Warm Idle

Interested in anyone's experience here before buying the $200 part.

Other question is, can it simply be bypassed? Either a manual valve once the engine warms or plug the fuel hoses and fire up the boat in neutral with throttle cracked...

Frsmith2

Cadet
Re: Sport Jet Auto Enrichner - Rich at Warm Idle

Update as I'm certain I'm not the only one that's dealing or that has dealt with this issue.

Before I spend the $200, I'm going to do the following for a whole $7.

I found a fuel shut off valve on Amazon that has a 90 degree angle to it. If you look at the Enrichner diagram, there's a molded fuel line elbow that leaves the enrichner and connects to the T-fitting that is connected to the induction chambers (top and bottom).

I'm going to splice in this 90 degree valve. At cold start/idle, since the enrichner is open cold, I'll let it work its magic using the air and fuel mixture it pulls into the enrichner. After a few minutes to warm up, I'll manually close the valve on the outlet side and see if my extremely rich idle goes away.

If so, I can decide to keep the manual on/off in place or buy the $200 part and replace it.

Stay tuned as I plan to do/test this week. As I posted earlier, all other items check out - reeds perfect, good compression, carbs cleaned/synced/adjusted, etc.