Sport Jet 90 - Sea Rayder steering difficulty

Keith_Olivier

Recruit
Hello All<br /><br />I have found that there is quite a bit of backlash in the steering of my 94 Sea Rayder. The backlash, combined with the very direct steering action (90 degrees lock to lock) combines to make the steering very heavy and imprecise. <br /><br />When on the plane and running at a slight angle to waves, the boat is inclined to skid when going both up and down the sides of the waves, presumeably because there is no effective keel or fin. This requires constant adjustment to the steering angle which is not made easier beause of the backlash. Since I generally only have 1 hand on the steering (towing wake boarders or a tube)the boat is far to fussy to control at the moment and I fatigue easily....<br /><br />Some of the backlash comes from some clearance between the pin and clevice at the nozzle of the jet pump / steering cable interface. The remainder seems to be in clearance at the opposite end of the cable where it attaches to the wheel.<br /><br />My question is whether anyone has replaced the standard steering system on these boats with a less direct aftermarket system ?(Teleflex offers 135 degree or 270 degree lock to lock retrofit steering systems) It seems that a less direct steering system would reduce the heaviness and the backlash at the steering end, while replacing the worn out connection at the nozzle should solve the balance of the backlash problem.<br /><br />How about hearing from others with similar boats on their experience with the stock or modified steering ?<br /><br />Thanks <br />Keith

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Sport Jet 90 - Sea Rayder steering difficulty

that probably has the older mercury jet system on it .. jet boats really stink for steering , that was why I designed patented steering for them. as for play in the ends you can replace the ends of the cable and if any holes are worn you can fit brass bushings in to take out the slop, but for reducing the awfull stress at high speed or the slide of the hull my patents are the only way I know to fix all that.

Capt Ken

Commander

Make sure you still have the zinc steering tab under the jet. Without it, you lose alot of stability with the steering. Its held on by the two bottom bolts under the jet nozzle.

bigfootcapt

Recruit

I have significant port pull, requiring that the wheel be HELD by force at a 45 degree angle to starboard. I looked for sleeve attachments and cable movement under the helm and at the jet and it looks to be in order. Any advice would be very appreciated. Thanks for reading.

bigfootcapt

Recruit

I am considering the same thing. Here is what I am told from the Jetboat14 forum:

There are 3 different helms used with Sport Jets. One rotates only 90 degrees. This is what I have seen on all of the SJ90s. They also make a helm that rotates 135 degrees. When I put the SJ175 in my boat, I got the 270 degree helm. I like it a lot, and in my opinion they should use it in all the jets. It greatly reduces the amount of steering effort required.

Would I be able to swap that out for the 270 travel one and still use the same steering cable, or would I need to replace the cables too?

When I changed mine, I had to make an adapter piece because the mounting bracket that the helm attaches to is different for the 270 than what what in my boat. I had to replace the steering cable on mine, but only because the pump assembly connection is different for the 175 than it was for the 90. I believe you would be able to re-use your cable.

I found the people at Teleflex very helpful. They even sent me a pdf file of the Operators Manual for the Throttle/Shift mechanism, to help me get that put back together correctly.

bigfootcapt

Recruit

Jeff, I asked for info on your patented steering (boatshop in Fairbanks) and have received none.

sheldonbaker

Cadet

hey i got a 1997 f16 that pulls to the left bad ,,, and it has a tellaflex will on it can some one help me here ,,, i do not know a thing about this stuff

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Very old thread but you need to start with the basics , when the steering wheel is centered is the Jet nozzle ? Also at WOT is the reverse grate clearing the nozzle ?

sheldonbaker

Cadet

its just afte ror as am getting off the gas .. i ajusted the cable more and it runs streat better and after your off the fuel right to port it goes

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nature of the boat and shutdown of water flow through the nozzle , once you get used to it you will steer to correct it prior to it happening . Just drive it ! :)