Sport Jet 120XR no spark

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizzly1733

Cadet
I have a 95 or 96 Rinker Jet Boat. With a 120XR Merc Sport Jet in it. I think the engine is 1995 but not sure. I have had very few problems until yesterday. I ran it all day no problem as I was heading home it just died. Engine turns over but no spark. Sounds like the stator after reading all the previous posts. Is the a way to test for problem. Can I replace the stator and or regulator or do I need to take it in? Please post or email me with any help I can get ( tytler@netacc.net ). Its summer time and I want to use my boat. Can I do anything to prevent the problems in the future or is it just one of those things that happens. Thanks

grizzly1733

Cadet
Re: Sport Jet 120XR no spark

FYI in case anyone else runs into this.<br />Turns out the fix for this problem was replacing the REV LIMITER on the engine. ($40 for part)<br />Black Box with 4 wires <br /> - Black/yellow <br /> - Brown<br /> - Purple<br /> - Black (Ground)<br /><br />Somehow it shorted out and was always grounding <br />the spark. It is a safely featue and once the part was disconnected the boat would start fine.<br /><br />Replacing the rev limiter fixed problem.<br />Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.