sport jet 120xr lower carb leaking

jakeesspoo

Cadet
The lower carb in my 96 sport jet 120 xr is leaking. My mechanic got a rebuild kit for carb and it still leaked. He thought that it was maybe a bad seat in carb so we ordered another carb and he put rebuild kit in that. On the bench he said the carb holds pressure but when he puts it on the boat the boat runs good for a short time and then starts leaking fuel out of the carb again. We are both kinda stumped. If it holds pressure on the bench why does it leak on the engine after running? Has anyone else run into this or have any ideas? Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated. Could the fuel pump be putting out way too much pressure? Has anyone ever seen that?

Anders67

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: sport jet 120xr lower carb leaking

Hi.

You shall have 3 gaskets, one big for bowl, and two for middle screw.

Check the venting of carb house/float bowl (Left side when looking on the front of engine). Float ok.?.

If not, float level /fuel level to high, and fuelinlet jet needle and seat.

If not, reeds.

Also check the fuel recir. system . there you have some one way flow valves. And so the auto enritch. chut off as it shall.

Capt Ken

Commander

Check that vent hose all the way to the breather. If it is plugged, it will do the same thing. Common problem

jakeesspoo

Cadet

thanks for the replies... we will be sure to check out all of these possible causes... if anyone else has any suggestions or feedback please let me know. I really appreciate those who take the time to help others, I always hope that I can do the same for others