Split-Fire plugs

QuarterPound

Cadet
after years of getting poor results from champions and AC's on my 235 V-6, I changed to the proper size split-fire and got better performance and longevity, smoother idle and better economy from my engine as well as less smoke. My mechanic tokd me to not use them, cause the heat range was too high for my motor. Any thoughts out there? They out performed and out lasted every other plug that I have tried.

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: Split-Fire plugs

I would venture to guess you are improperly installing the champion plugs....the crush gasket requires a specific torque in order for the plug to dissapate heat properly.<br />I must add you are one of the few that have had "Poor" results with champion plugs, which makes me wonder if you are using the correct fuel, and if you are propped for the correct RPM...

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Kenny,<br /><br />That sounds like a troll, look at the sign up date and number of posts. Don't you smell the bait? (sniff, sniff)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

split fires are super great, for the salesman. I have done severaldyno runs with them on motors that were in good repair and tune. absolutly no difference in the dyno test. only the 3 times cost of the plugs over the factory reccomended ones.<br /> does smell a bit like catfish bait :) :)

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

OK... I'll take the bait. You don't have to search hard on line to read about bad Splitfire publicity. I recall in researching this topic finding that the FTC had ordered the manufacturers of Splitfires to cease their deceptive advertising practices of increased H.P. etc. Also came across reports of electrodes falling off... eeek!

walleyehed

Admiral

I'm a glutton for that kind'a stuff I guess...<br />Good eyes, seahorse... :D

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I have a auto repair text book, such as a student would use, It was printed in 1926. It has a full page of spark plug design's as used, or tried at that time. The split fire design is on that page, and you would be hard pressed to come up with a design that is'nt shown. It certainly is'nt something new, or revolutionary.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by R.Johnson:<br /> It certainly is'nt something new, or revolutionary.
or worth buying at 3 times the price ... hyped junk

QuarterPound

Cadet

I am not trolling, I am a new member with a serious question to which I don't know the answer. I discontinued using the split fires and currently have champions back in my engine. What is the 'proper' torque on the plugs.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

12psi as I recall QP. This sets the crush ring and seals it also.<br /><br />As for the SplitFire plug, I tried a set in my 84' 50hp Johnny. Ran them all day. Next day I changed back to the Champs. Hardly noticed any difference at all. I've had some guys that use 9.9/15's say they do see a change in the way the smaller engines run......some say they do not. I'll stick with the Champs myself.

ob

Admiral

My OMC manual lists 18-21 ft.lbs. for the Champion plugs.

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Maybe I missed where you mentioned "what" Champions you have been using.(???)<br /><br />All a spark plug is capable of doing is igniting the air/fuel charge, directly in the part of the actual spark... nothing more. The "splitfire" plugs may be capable of getting a better air/fuel charge into that area, but even that has it's limits of effectiveness. Let's face it, most plugs that have been designed for these specific engines already have that accounted for. As for less smoke??? that's controlled by the amount of oil in the mixture, and in no way by the spark plug.

QuarterPound

Cadet

Okay, here's another good question for the " Admirals"<br />Mechanic said that new TCW 3 oil is so good, it can be run at 100 to 1 in a 1985, 235 V6.<br />I don't believe it! Lets here it folks! I would prefer to here from a good mechanic with OMC experience

QuarterPound

Cadet

sorry, I forgit to mention that only two plugs are reccomended. LJ77 surface gap and the air gap type. Carbs have been completely rebuilt by a very good mechanic and the surface gaps always foul. I have owned this engine & boat for 15 years and run 60 miles off-shore! I am not a rookie when it comes to boats.<br />Personal best fish on my boat has been an 89 lb Wahoo and best King is a 43.5. and a big Blue that was released. All has been documented. Also came in 2nd in the Charleston "miracles" tournament. This particular boat has been sold and I am trying to educate a rookie owner. Now run a GW Marlin with twin 250 Yammies that has all the bells and whistles and electronics. My boat can be chartered if you have the cash

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

fouling plugs are a symptom nopt a cause. find the cause and the symptom dissapears. I hope your boat isnt/wasnt named tip a canoe:) :) .<br /> that 3o marlin tournament with a pair of ox66 yam 250's sure can put a dent in the 300 gallon fuel capacity :) . last one I was in could eat 59.8GPH at 5000 RPM.<br /> anyway back to the 235. not knowing what year is difficult. has the VRO been removed? I have seen some v-4's run suceesfully on 100-1. I would not. but the 235 would most likly die. on a light bass boat maybe, on a heavy center console fishing boat nope. check the recirc valves, test the engine compression, if it has the plastic minlon fuel bowls and is chronic rich at low speeds check the bowls for warpage. and mostly check how the premix is done. the only correct way to pre-mix is by mixing in a seperate container. ya cant just dump a gallon in and add 100 gallons of gas. this I have seen to many times. if lucky the carbs pick up an over rich slug of oil and the engine quits at worst it picks up no oil and the engine quits. the former to to much oil in the carbs and no fuel the later cause of no oil in the carbs and the reciprocating assy quit. my bet on the oil fouling is lack of maint or method of pre-mix.<br /> same as if you dont keep a clean filter in the 250 vapor seperator or clean the O2 sensor every 200 hours :) and maybe check the spark plug cap resistance now and again or keep the low pressure pumps changed every 3 years or 400 hours. be proactive on that 250 or it will puke.

QuarterPound

Cadet

You lost me on some of that stuff.No VRO is not attached. Can not shake a 2500 lb boat when fueling. I try to mix as I fuel. Don't dump all at once

reeldutch

Lieutenant

i dont know anything about splitfires never used them and never will.<br /><br />what are your brand new yammies using for plugs i think you like splitfires????<br /><br />see some cash for mechanics here<br />hahaha<br /><br />or a nice trip on your boat?<br />we will bring the plugs

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

reeldutch<br /> some of the HPDI motors use a twin electrode plug. pain in the wampus to set the gap. they can also muliti-fire the plugs.<br /> the HPDI uses a 12v TCI(Transistor Controled Ignition) battery powered ign. on that motor its no longer altenator driven. same principle as the old OMC "amplifier" set up only no moving parts other than the TPS and the flywheel. and no dist caps or rotors. its reliable and works well.

QuarterPound

Cadet

other than the sarcasm, the help recieved was great. I will start mixing gas and oil in a 5gal container and then add to the tank. I had thought that it was was the problem and had the tank pumped dry. As for the Grady with the big Yammies, it burns 49gph at wot, but at cruise, it drops to 21gph. yamaha came out with a new plug design for the 250's, so I know plugs can make a big difference. <br />the guys with the small block engines don't have a clue when it comes to running a high compression, big block motor. They can probably just flick a bic lighter in the plug hole and run.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

hey Quarterpound,<br /><br />no hard feelings just teasing you a little.<br /><br />i'm sure you yammahas run great.<br /><br />good luck fishing<br />reeldutch