Spitting Water

bcarroll55

Cadet
How soon should water start streaming from my telltale? It sometimes takes 2-3 minutes and begins with a spit/sputter before firming up. This happens at startup and sometimes after coming off plane to a troll speed. '98 135 horse.

dtherrien

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Spitting Water

Your motor seems to be taking alittle to long. On mine it will start peeing in about 30 seconds from a cold start.When was the last time the water pump was replaced? I change mine every year,a 97 150efi. A buddy of mine with a 94 115 will act like yours, but he never gets a warning beep.

bcarroll55

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. I swapped out the impeller earlier this summer, to no effect. The pump was my next move, but wanted to make sure before opening up the L.U. again. Also, when I swapped the impeller, I noticed there was no bushing around the drive shaft, as the manual says should be -- just the plastic sleeve. I'm the 3rd owner of this engine, so I don't know what has been done inside there. Is the manual wrong, or am I missing a part? Any help will be much appreciated.

ehenry

Commander

What you may be seeing in the spitting is water passing through the bypass on the thermostats and after the engine warm and the stats open the good hard stream start. Do you have a water pressure gauge on this engine?

bcarroll55

Cadet

Hmm. No, I don't have a water pressure gauge. The spitting is coming out of the usual spot - it just starts out as a spitting, inconsistent stream, and builds up to a full flow. Shouldn't I be seeing a consistent stream right away? Appreciate the help...

KCLOST

Commander

No,<br /><br />Your water flow is normal for a V6 Black Max...<br /><br />It will spurt or spit unitl the t-stats begin to open which requires an increase in engine/water temperatures, as EF mentioned...

bcarroll55

Cadet

That's good news, thanks. One other thing -- I also see "hot" bubbles at low speed after startup -- like the water in the propwash is either very hot or full of exhaust gas. It just dudn look right.. This only occurs after startup, as I'm pulling away from the dock. After a power run, it seems "normal" to me. Seen this before?

bcarroll55

Cadet

That's good news, thanks. One other thing -- I also see "hot" bubbles at low speed after startup -- like the water in the propwash is either very hot or full of exhaust gas. It just dudn look right.. This only occurs after startup, as I'm pulling away from the dock. After a power run, it seems "normal" to me. Seen this before?

KCLOST

Commander

Normal... You should see it all the time just above idle speed... Just after start-up I bet your idle rpms are a bit higher than normal until the engine heats up...<br /><br />When you rev up, the exhaust pressure is enough to blow out the water sitting in the drive shaft housing and lower unit exhaust housing... And then the exhaust will exit the prop... While at idle (800rpms or so), there is not enough pressure for the exhaust to exit the prop so it just exits through the upper ports just below your upper cowling...

KCLOST

Commander

I should also add that the prop rotation aids in the exit of the water and exhaust...