spinning reel lube

skeezx01

Petty Officer 2nd Class
does anyone have suggestions on internal lube for my mitchel reels (308x & 310x)? they seem to be a little tougher to turn now that the sun is shining a little less. i have been told to shy away from any of the penetrating oils as they tend to be more solvent and evaporate leaving little or poor quality lube behind. a buddy of mine takes his to a shop in omaha every fall for a clean and lube to the tune of 3 or 4 bucks a reel, i have a box of dad's tv tools ;) and think i can save some $$.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: spinning reel lube

You can pick up some reel oil and grease at a larger sporting goods store, or online at Bass Pro or Cabelas.

imported_JD__

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quantums Hot Sauce grease and oil is about the slickest, most long lasting I've used.<br />JD

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

I have some Mitchell reels over 40 years old, and use axle grease in the summer, then clean them in the fall and use any oil for winter. The only time I use Mitchells any more is for salt water use, and it's not a bad idea to take them apart periodically anyway.<br />It's amazing how long these clunkers work.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

-Shooters Choice-<br />All weather <br />High-Tech<br />Grease<br /><br />+350 degrees to -65 degrees<br /><br />comes in a syringe applicator.<br /><br /><br />Made in the USA TOO

Xcusme

Commander

I use Lube Gel from of all places Radio Shack. It has Syncolon (PTFE), good for -45 to +450 degrees. My older Mitchels 408's and 300's work just fine with it.