spinning pushrod 1965 mercruiser

65holiday

Seaman
had 110 engine trouble thread ,got her running but have spinning push rod at 4 exhaust. re adjusted but still spins. are these hydraulic lifters? 110 chevy 4 cylinder. thanks ...let er rip!

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: spinning pushrod 1965 mercruiser

All of mine spin (3.7 L, no rocker arm adjustment), I think they are supposed to. How else would the ball ends get lubrication?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

hyd. lifters , 1/2 to 3/4 turn from "0" lash.
a collapased lifter ? rocker stud pulling out?

65holiday

Seaman

test ran her today, ran good sounded great.will consult clymer manual re:the lifters. does anyone have an extra mercruiser #1 manual laying around?

Zeeter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Go to the top of the topic and look under the Adults Only area. Bunches of manuals in there. Item number 9

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The whole valve train rotates on flat bottom hydraulic lifters. If it doesn't, you're in trouble.

Rob_NC

Cadet

..yes they should spin..actually what you are seeing is the lifter spinning...of course "0"(tighten..slowly..until no tick then)...adjust , valve lash plus additional 1/4-1 turn..me I use 1/4-1/2 no more...I would be more worried about the ones that arnt..can you turn the push rods at idle...what this does is keeps the wear even on the bottom of the lifter...and premature cam lobe wear..course this a non rollar stituation..

Polar_Bus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pushrods are supposed to spin. If they are not, you have big problems in the future.
The reason pushrods spin is because the cam lobes are slightly offset to the lifters. This causes the lifter to slightly rotate as the cam lobe passes across the lobe. This distributes even wear across the entire lifter face surface. If the lifter did not rotate, you would quickly wear a groove in the face of the lifter.

futz

Banned

Bt just gave you the proper method, or you can run it with a bunch of rags around to catch the slop, and adjust them.

Curious what kinda compression you have.

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

test ran her today, ran good sounded great.will consult clymer manual re:the lifters. does anyone have an extra mercruiser #1 manual laying around?

If it runs good and sounds great I wouldn't even mess with adjusting the lifters.You may end up with trouble that you didn't have to start with.Hydraulic lifters usually never need adjustment after initial setup for the life of the engine.Their designed to spin so every thing wears evenly.:rolleyes:

65holiday

Seaman

thanks guys for all your help, couldnt have gotten her done without you and many thanks for the tip on the manual... #1 was in adults only section... 4 hour download but man is it worth it. on the compression I had 140 at #1 and then had the head done.. I think shes fine. thanks iboat dudes!!!!